New Mom (again)

lisa1124

Small Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Hi everyone,

Around 4 months ago I inherited a beautiful betta, Fred that I keep at work. Poor little Fred died last night and it broke my heart. My friend saw him before I did and he went out and bought me a new betta - he's absolutely gorgeous - when he flares his colors and fins are striking. He is still in the small bowl they typically come in. Will he be alright in the small bowl over night? I'm going to an aquarium store tonight to buy him a very large bowl, gravel, etc. and will put water in the bowl tonight and bring it to work tomorrow. The aquarium store suggested I buy gravel they already have in their tanks since it has good bacteria in it - does that sound right? I am so worried about losing another betta. I became very attached to Fred and cried nonstop this morning.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Aww Im sorry about Fred, and that your friend replaced him for you! Im sure the betta will be fine in his bowl overnight. Ive never had a betta but I have been thinking about getting one for some time now. So, I have done quite abit of reading about them. Try to get at least a gallon bowl/vase to put him in and maybe a live plant or two, which will help keep it clean...theres a thread on here about those...let me see if I can find it and put it here for you...sounds real nice.

here it is...check it out and his website has instructions more about his vases and how to set one up...GOOD LUCK!
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30558&page=2&pp=15&highlight=lordroad

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think the new betta should be fine overnight...and yes it sounds perfect that your local store is willing to sell some of their used gravel as long as they use undergravel filters in their tanks? Otherwise it probably wont do much good. Are you going to get a bowl with a filter in it hopefully? Otherwise I know lots of places (like petsmart or walmart) sell small 1 gallon or 2.5 or 5.5 gallon setups that come with everything you need for not too much money.

lisa1124

Small Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Great. I can't wait to put George in his new home. I have a five gallon bowl for him. Unfortunately, I keep him at work around lots of movement, and I don't think my office would allow a noisy filter. I thought about getting him a heater but that would be considered a fire hazard. I have a 37 gallon at home that has community fish. It's gorgeous. Thanks for your help.

lisa1124

Small Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Well, the new tank is ready. I added gravel from an existing healthy aquarium and some new gravel. Work policy will not allow me to use a filter, unfortunately. There is still some sediment floating around in the water - I want to wait until it settles before I slowly add George to his new five gallon home.

lisa1124

Small Fish
Oct 5, 2005
What could I get for him? I have a couple of things for him to swim around - but I'd like to give him a toy or something. I can't find any websites that sell anything fun.