New Planted Aquarium Questions (2)...

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm getting ready to make my established 10g tank into a planted aquarium. I've decided to use Eco-Complete as my substrate but I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I completely remove my gravel and put Eco-Complete in its place? Or are there benefits (ie: beneficial bactaria) to keeping the gravel and placing Eco-Complete on top of it?

I'm currently using a HOB filter (w/ biowheel) and an UGF. And I understand that if it is recommended that I completely remove my current gravel then I need to remove my UGF as well.

Also, I've read that a HOB filter with biowheel is not recommended. If I need to remove both my UGF and my biowheel my concern is where the beneficial bacteria will live.

2) Will the beneficial bacteria thrive in the substrate itself?

Thanks in advance!

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Give it some time, most folks aren't home from work yet. You'll get your answers in a couple hours ;)

I have only a limited experience with planted aquariums, and I've never used a special substrate like Eco-complete, so I'm unqualified to answer your first question.

To answer your second question. Yes, bacteria will grow in the gravel. Its primary "home" however is going to be your filter.

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
1.) the main benefits are nutrients for plants it helpful to have but just so you know ive had equal sucess with eco-complete and flourite but if its worth the extra $$ to you definetly get ADA.

2.) the bacteria will be fine int he substrate ive never use a bio wheel and all my tanks are just fine, but if this is going to be a high light tank then youll mostlikly want to use a canister

cheers

-Java

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry JW. I've been thinking about this all night and i'm anxious to get started. I guess i got a little impatient. My apologies.

Thanks for the info as well. I don't plan on supplying any CO2 to the tank (at least not at the start). I'm hoping to start with the minimal requirements and slowly add as I go along while keeping a diary to help me track what works best with what. My 10g tank will be my "test" before venturing to change my 55g into a planted aquarium as well.

And thank you too Igor. I was hoping not to invest on a canister filter for my 10g tank since it won't be high light. But i will do a little more research on ADA.

How about replacing my gravel? Should I completely remove the old gravel before adding Eco-Complete/ADA?

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Remove the gravel and replace with Eco/ADA....I wouldn't mix them. You can leave a couple handfuls of the old gravel underneath. I'd push it to the middle so you can't see it when you put in the Eco/ADA.

I'm not sure about the bio-wheel. I think you can just take it out of the filter, can't you? I saw that mentioned on another forum. If you decide you need another filter, I'd go with an Aquaclear HOB. You wouldn't have to get a cannister. I have 2 planted tanks with HOB filters, both ACs.

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, I'm retro-fitting my current hood to hold two fluorescent tubes, 15 watts minimum each. Ideally, I'd like to have about 40-50 watts of light for the tank. But I haven't made my final decision yet on what plants I'll be using to start with. I know plants can vary on how much light they need and what fish are best compatible for them (and visa-versa). I've also bought a light timer to make sure I don't get sloppy with the light exposure. :)

Thanks everyone for you words of wisdom. It has helped me greatly!