New plants, same problem

Jul 18, 2007
So I have some new plants now, Amazon Sword, some sort of dwarf sword, have yet to be indentified. I also have some Micranthemum umbrosum (baby tears?)

The plants aren't growing, but they aren't dying. I don't have any test kits available at the moment. I am going to do a water change and does with some excel and maybe the other seachem product i am forgetting the name of.

Any suggestions on how to grow a jungle?

I have Eco substrate.

Let me tell you, I can grow algae good.

WPG is 3.25

Also, how can i stop brown/green hair like algae growing from my filter?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Are you sure your lights are full spectrum? How long are you keeping the lights on?

To stop the algae you need to keep your tank out of direct sunlight, limit light time and/or get an algae eatter (but not while you're dumping so many chemicals into your tank or until you have test kit to make sure it's safe.)

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
CF = compact flourescent.

You need to find out what the spectrum of your bulbs are. Whether they are CF or not has no impact on the spectrum of the bulbs, which is very important to growing plants.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Ah thank you. And yes that's exactly what I was thinking!
When the plants are happy they'll steal the nitrates from the algae too and help to starve it out.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The plants should get at least 8 hours of light a day, with 10 to 12 hours being preferable.

How long have you had the "new" plants? It sometimes takes a few weeks for them to start growing in.

Also, with that kind of lighting, you should definitely be adding both micronutrients and macronutrients. A single all-in-one fertilizer probably won't be giving the plants everything they need. Have a look at the fertilization sticky at the top of the Aquatic Plant section for some guidance.