New rocks fading

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey guys i have the same prob i had before...my coralline seems to fade a little bit. My new LR i having whiter spots.
PH : 8.3
nitrite:0
Ammonia:0
Nitrates: 5
Calcium :just under 440

Some say that mh 20000k + actinics are great for coralline growth or health. I have that. :confused:

My corals are super happy, growing and all..fishes too.

I have some new spots of coralline, so it grows, but it is often crackled and whitish on the edges.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
a lot of times coralline will bleach when lighting conditions change so new rock tends to go white and then come back...the halides aren't going to help either (too intense really), but i wouldnt worry about it...the bacteria and goodies will be just fine

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Kool tnx. Yeah i know the rock itself is fine, but it's hard to find out what coralline really needs. The wise ol'man at the store uses cheap Sylvania neons...and tadaaaa super rocks. Others use supplements like calcium ( i do ) and magnesium, wich coralline consume..and have poor results. At least my corals eat that.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
not so great. It's still growing, but the purple tend to become pink after a new spot appear. A little bit like a jawbreaker candy sucked for a long time.
The vivid colors seems to fade away. I'll try to take some pix when the lights are on. Still can't find the good color balance with my cam. The color sucks and the camera's manual too.