New Saltwater Begginer.....

OK, Have my 55 gal setup. underwater gravel kit, 2 water jets (one for each side) flordia crushed coral, Marineland magnum 350 convertible canister filter.
I'm in hurry, just wanted to know the best way and less complicated way to start? I have my intant ocean salt, hydrometer,prime & chemi-pure filter medium to place in my filter. Just basic for getting water ready for fish..
Thanks, Vinny

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ouch. This sounds like a setup from the 80's.

Right up front I will tell you that what you have can be made to work, it will be a high maintenance p.i.t.a. Undergravel filters are not optimum technology despite what any shop tells you.

Your best bet is to read the stickies at the top (especially mine !! : ) ) and get a book called the New Marine Aquaria by Mike Paletta - it will be the best 20 $ you will spend early on.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think a set up like yours is an uphill struggle to get going that would probably have a 90% chance of failure.

Do not think this will work like a glorified freshwater.

Cheers (!)

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
any way you can return the under gravel filter and get some more powerheads?

Like wayne said your best investment at this point is the New Marine Aquarium, it will imo save you money by eliminating chnaces of mistakes that will be costly to you and possibly live stock

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You should also look into a skimmer for a tank that size...

We aren't trying to be harsh and rip your setup apart or anything...but hope you check out the stickies and see why everyone is reccomending what they are.