new saltwater tank

I've got a 55 gal tank I want to make it saltwater and the filter that I have now is 2 penguin330 with bio wheel and a protien skimmer. Would I be able to use thoses filters or sould I get something else? and if so what should I get, because I am new to this so I have no idea.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
do you want to do a reef tank or a fish only with live rock tank? because with a reef tank you woudnt need the filters, just a couple powerheads and your live rock and sand plus clean up crew would do the rest, FOWLR however you prolly could and would need to use those filters

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
All I'm going to say is read all the other similar threads on here, get the recommended reading and read it front to back. This isn't as difficult as people make out, but it's simply overkill to write it all out here. Plus I've written this out at least 10 times before. Research protein skimming, live rock and sand, lighting.
Good luck - regard the reading as a benefit rather than a punishment.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Go to your LFS and buy a Starter Marine Book. Read as much stuff as you can. When you develop a plan then let us know so we can help.

Sam Reef