Here is a pic of my new 15 gal SW tank on day 6 of cycle

here are my stats:
15 gal tall tank
2 HOB filters
200 watt heater
2 powerheads rate about 300 gph
20 lbs live sand
8.5 lbs live rock

Standard 15 watt light...better one coming soon!
Numbers are on day 6 of cycle:
Am...2.0
pH...8.0
Nitrites....5
Nitrates...5.0
Spec. Grav...27
Salinity...1.025
Temp...77
Back ground is DIY job with Cardboard,fabric and spray adhesive.... and it took less than 5 minutes to make!
What ya think?

Last edited:

SPIKE88

Medium Fish
Dec 8, 2005
Ohio
Tank looks great! I like the background. I still have a lot of research to do, but think a small SW tank is my next venture. Probably a 10-20 gallon tank. Just curious, about how much is this going to cost you? How big can I go before I would need a protein skimmer? They are pretty costly right?

;) you are asking the wrong person....I an BRAND NEW to Saltwater..... So far I have spent about 100.00. Mostly on the LR and Sand.....and I have researched that if its a FOWLR tank only I can get away w/o using a skimmer... but like I said before...I am still learning. I will prolly buy a skimmer later on down the road, but, so far I just have to wait for the cycle to complete*celebrate

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
no real need for a skimmer on a 15 gallon...just do frequent large water changes

spike: this will be a costly venture if you plan to go reef...for fish only the major cost difference between FW and SW is the live rock for which you will end up paying around $8 a pound

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The price of the fish is also a major price difference...

Nice tank cinlnk, I like the background too. A lot of the SW backgrounds show corals and stuff, and it looks funky if it's not on a reef tank.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I have another background suggestion for those of you that need one: black spray paint. All you do is tape some newspaper to the wall, and you can spray a tank that has water in it! I just did it to my fw tank, and it turned out pretty good. Cheap too. Just make sure the room is well ventilated.

Patience ...patience ...patience.....Thats bout all I can do....But I am in a " Hurry up and Wait" mode. Did another test on the water... Looks like I am going through an AMMO and Nitrite Spike. I am going to get more live lock this coming weekend. I want to have about 12 to 15 lbs of it in there. Been drooling over the Fish that I want to put in there. Leaning towards gobies and Firefish. The Yellow Watchman Goby is sure a cutie:D and so are the clown gobies. Well anyways, I will keep you all updated as this progresses.

Thank you for all the Wonderful Comments.... Ya'll are a great bunch of Good eggs:D.
Thanx.
Cindy:p