New Sand Cichlid tank

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
What sort of cichlids do you have? Size of tank?

You will need to keep the bottom free of poo yourself. As for the missed food, it would be better to tailor your feeding so as to minimize it before choosing a fish whose sole purpose is to be the tank janitor. Bottom feeders typically require more than incidental feedings. ;)

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
I've always used sand in my tanks - and had pl*cos as bottom feeders - never had a problem (or had to clean the sand)

I think you need to go for a combination of bottom feeder and a strong filter flow to achieve the best results. The fish gets the food - the filter gets the poop.

As for which bottom feeder to go for - depends on your tank size. Doesn't have to be a huge fish - just big enough for the Cichlids to leave alone (though they seldom bother pl*cs in my experience). Cichlids are weird like that - if it's a catfish they just aren't interested in it - they only see fish of a similar shape and size as competition.

See what your LFS has - no point in recommending fish you can't get hold of .....

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Melanochromis auratus are really mean nasty fish, not sure i'd put any bottem feeder in with them.

I wouldn't use a bottem feeder anyway. I personally find them a waste. They produce even more poo then the cichlids. So you will have triple that piling up. Not to mention the way i've seen Mbuna eat...they don't miss much at all.

The debris could be from the sand being new. I'd do some water changes and let it settle out.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Cories would die very quickly in your tank, and so will a small pleco. And the reason your tank is a mess is cause you feed feeder fish, there is no need. And if you wish to feed feeders then dont make it the main diet. They dont provide much nutrition ecspecially if you dont feed them first. I reccomend feeding worms, emerald entre, krill and cichlid sticks/granules.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I think you should focus more on Water changes then rely on other fish to clean up your tank. Dead fish should not just sit in your tank, feeders or not.

Oh and the feeders are not a real good idea for some of the fish you have. Mbuna from Malawi enjoy a more veggie diet then meaty.

Jan 8, 2007
corrupt lfs
Definetly be carefull of overfeeding...cichlids in general (especially mbuna) tend to not miss anything floating around the tank, especially when it comes from being dropped on the surface. So you shouldnt see any uneaten food on the bottom.

Like others have said...gravel vac is the only way to clean the waste off the sand. It is not like gravel and the waste will pile up on top.