New Setup

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
I've had my 55 gallon with 45 lbs of live rock with a marineland magnum 350 with bio wheel set up for a little over a week. I tested the water today and my nitrite and ammonia are at 0. It's been at 0 for a while and am wondering if I can add a damsel or two. Is it still to early? Has the spike just not happened yet? The water seems to be real stable.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well...what is the condition of the rock? Was it pre-cured when you purchased, did you get it shipped? Usually the ammonia will spike a day or two after the rock has been in the tank and depending on factors. I would probably add a damsel or two right about now.

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
Yes. I am cycling. But right now, the water is crystal clear 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. The only thing I might need to fix is the salt content which my gravity is at 1.027. It's a little high but do I need to worry about it? Can the fish make it in that? Do you think I should change some water out to lower it?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Your salinity is a little high. Most fish can tolerate it but if it rises anymore you will be in trouble. Change it to 1.019-1.026. I would add fish right about now. Rock was pretty much cured when you got it and its been more then a week.