New Skimmer Maybe

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Told my LFS to keep an eye out for me on a used skimmer. He told me today that another person who shops at the store is down sizing to a smaller tank, he has a 300g tank, maybe a tad bigger. I don't know anything about this skimmer but the man at the store says its a good one and I can get it for about $350 but he isn't sure about the model number. He said it will fit top to bottom in my sump but not sure about the foot placement. Anyway its a ETSS skimmer, anyone heard of this skimmer?? I am not comitting to anything without checking with ya'll.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
etss are good skimmers but definitly find out which model it is and do your homework... check what it cost new, look on RC to see if anyone else is selling one and what ther selling it for, do a google search and try and find out if people had problems with the model ect...

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
sounds great..but unless it's a ETSS XR serie (600,700,800,1400 and up) , i would lower the price. Try to find out what model is it, they have a lot of models between 300$ and 400$..new. Only the XR are 600$ and up, and i personnaly never pay than 50% for used stuff if it's top shape, even with a brand new pump

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
where do you live again? is ther a reef club in your area? have you checked craigslist? RC? for a 300g tank id be trying to go with and octopus extreme300..... after seeing the nasty skimate these things pull im a fan!

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I don't know what the model number is for the ETSS, the lfs man is checking on it for me, when I know ya'll will know. I would really like to buy a new skimmer rather than a used one, but if the deal is right, I might buy a used one. This isn't something I need right now so barring a good deal on a used one, I will keep saving my $$$ for a new one. I will check on that Octopus extream 300 Tre.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well after buying a $300+ skimmer new and buying a $600+ skimmer for $300 used i dont think ill ever buy another skimmer new! it just isnt worth it IMO...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
As long as nothing is cracked, running vinegar through a skimmer should bring it up shiny and new and working well.

I'm working on getting a new skimmer. We have a really tight space for it, though, so it's taking some time to figure out what to do. We may end up drilling the sump and putting the skimmer on externally.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Your right TRe, I know that, I just hate buying used. I figure if I can save $200 buying used, I would rather wait and save the $200 and buy new, at least that way I know what I am getting. Anyway, thats the skimmer that you recommed isn't it?