New Skimmer

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well my ebay Aqua-C Remora HOT with maxi-jet 1200 came today so I was pumped. I did my w/c early (ussually Sunday) so I could get it on and running. I did the ussual tank cleaning, algae scraping, little bit of sand moving, and rock cleaning and then refilled the tank. After that I moved my lr around and just put it in no order and just in a stable manor (going to actually aquascape when I get my epoxy and do my next w/c so dismis my terrible aquascaping :rolleyes: )

anyway I just had a few questions that I think I am pretty safe and can assume I know the answer but might as well throw them up (and Im bored and it is fun to do while watching the Yankees.)

anyway here it is:

this is a picture of the front part of the remora right above and to the left of the water output back into the tank. Directly to the right of the intake (grey tube) you can see a plastic line and foam. The foam is leading up into the collection cup but as you can see (most noticablly on the left side) some bubbles are overflowing (where the flash is is the tube up into the collection cup.) CONTINUE TO SECOND PIC FOR QUESTION

This is the picture of the bubbles in the return. I know of the break in period with skimmers (they say bubbles can last a few days) I was just wondering if I should expect the same break since this had been running 3 months on a reef prior to me getting it. I figure they will but just wanted to see if this was a abnormal amount of bubbles (not neccessarily in the return but in picture 1 overflowing in the skimmer itself?) I am guessing once the foam is laden with waste it wont be overflowing as much?

this picture has no question just wanted to post this up to show how clear the inital skimmate was. Picture doesnt show it (was literally 5 min into operation) but I have seen some brown starting to show so already starting to clean up my tank...)

I just figured I post this up (as I said Im pretty bored and confined to my room due to grounding soooo...)

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I also took a video to ask about the noise it was making, I know it also has to do with breakin but I am not at the point of bordom yet where I post a video of a skimmer:rolleyes: maybe later haah

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well I have a question pertaining to the skimmate. I woke up to find the collection cup filled with water (right below the inlet tube of the foam) and the water was a brownish tint.

this is a picture off the remora website labeled as "two weeks of collection" Shouldnt I be expecting a frothy skimmate rather than liquid? Im still banking this is the breakin period but dont want a flood on my hand..

I was just wondering do all skimmers produce a liquidy skimmate first then do they all move onto a frothy type?

*i just poured out the dirty water...

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I cant lower the water level but I can lower the level of the skimmer cup. I was reading through this stuff and think this may be what I have to do. I just dont know if I should lower the cup now or wait a few days (it doesnt list a specific height to place skimmer collection cup.

Ill tweak it and see what happens because as of right now I am getting a full collection cup of semi brownish water about every 12 hours. Its not really dark..

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
yea I have the o ring at the lowes point on the collection cup (which make the collection cup as high as possible) I am just going to leave it like this for the next two or three days and by the third day if it is still all liquid or atleast if it is still the same color liquid (and not the very brown murky water) Ill lower the cup.

the spray injector is still making some noise so I hope that goes away

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No , the spray injectors are always noisy - that's really the only problem withthese things.

At this point in time you are running too wet. Typically during breakin skimmers produce too few bubbles, not too many. To stop this there are things to do - more air (not possible on this design), less water (not easy) or raise the collection cup so only the dirtiest bubbles get high enough.
The the skimmate will be much darker in colour. While it might overflow as bubbles, these will collapse, so you should be finding water in the cup, preferable dark brown/green, with a few bubbles round the top of the collection tube.

Make sense?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
yea it does. Right now I have the cup at the highest part possible. It isnt producing the same amount of skimmate as it did the first night but Im not complaining. I also thought the skimmate was suppose to be all foam but as I watch what it is actually doing it makes sense that there should be water in the cup (I think the dirty foam at the top of the cups that I have seen pictures of gave me a misperception of what I should expect.

First cup of water was a very light brown water but Im not expecting truely dark skimmate for atleast a week. Also I dont have a large bioload yet so until I get some live stock I dont know if I should expect a 100% dirty skimmate.

Although I know it is suppose to be noisy I hope it dies down a little. Right nows it sounds like that sound when you start a powerhead and it doesnt initally start pumping water (like a gurggling water air bubbly sound)