New Swordtails..

Oct 21, 2005
I just bought 2 new swordtails and I'm having a problem with them. One has jumped out (blind spot on the cover) and died while I was out. The other is continuously jumping out of the water. It recently (somehow) jumped and ended up in the filter box where the water was. Is there a way for me to prevent this? Is it because of the water or just adjusting to the new environment? Should I buy a test kit for the water levels and stuff to find out? Thank you for any help/suggestions.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Could you tell us more about your tank? Yes, absolutely buy test kits -- some fish jump to get out of unsatisfactory water. With that said, I think every swordtail I've lost has died due to lint accumulation. ;) From my experience, they're jumpy fish but yours sound a bit more determined than most.

Oct 21, 2005
oh my. I'm really sorry. I was so tired from searching the net that I typed the wrong fish species. I just noticed it now. This topic was meant to be about my albino redtail sharkfishes.

On a lighter note the swordtails are doing fine. Just a bit aggressive towards my platy.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Could you tell us about this tank? What size? Other inhabitants?

Redtails typically don't appreciate the company of other redtails. The one who jumped out, may have been driven out.

You'd still be better off to get the test kits and see if the water had anything to do with it.

***Just read your other posts.... Did you put the swordtails and albino redtail sharks in your 5 with your platies? Anything else in there? Aside from your tank being seriously overstocked, if that is the case, quite honestly, imo neither the redtails or swords have any business being in anything less than a 29, and I prefer them in something with an even larger footprint (30+). It's no wonder your sharks are jumping, the swords should be fuzzy in no time too. :(

Last edited:

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
my red tailed shark jumped out and turned into a fuzzy fish chip. red tail sharks have a habbit of jumping out of tanks. You should make sure you have nook and cranny covered.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I had a red-tailed shark (or rainbow, I forget which) jump once within 30 minutes of being put in the tank... jumpy little fish.

You can try cutting a piece of plastic needlework canvas to cover the holes in the cover (around the filter and heater).