new tank 55g problems

Liba

New Fish
Nov 15, 2008
I just purchased a 55 gal tank, it used to be used for saltwater, so I cleaned it out, and started it up with 20 feeders or so in there with a couple crayfish. That night i noticed small bubbles building up on the walls. and a lot of fizzyness that I'm guessing now was salt coming out of the filters. I just re cleaned it very thoroughly but is there anything I can do to make sure theres no more salt anywhere on it? Thanks

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hi!

So I doubt it was salt causing the bubbles. I'm not entirely sure what causes them but it does happen on a lot of freshly set up tanks and unless it persists for a long time, I wouldn't worry about it.

I do have a theory about the bubbles though ;). My thinking is that since the water in main lines are under pressure (anywhere from 40-70psi depending on your area) there is more disolved gas in the water. Especially the cold line which at 5C (41F) can have 51.1ppm of O2@ 58.7 psi. Once the water is not under pressure and warmed everything outgasses forming those bubbles. Like I said though, just a theory though.

Chris

Liba

New Fish
Nov 15, 2008
Fish still are getting sick so took them out. I think i'm just going to completely clean it but not sure how to go about that. I've heard bleach and distilled white vinegar. Is one better than the other? I'd rather use the DWV just because a little apprehensive of putting bleach in the tank. Thanks!

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
No to the bleach! Smart move. I have read here that there is probably a minimum amount of salt and would likely not hurt the fish. You could probably just keep it full of water and let it run for a little while. You probably have a salinity tester, check that. If it's high do a big water change. I doubt that it is very high, though

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Just out of curiosity, how did you clean the tank before you set it up? Also, if you're worried about salt, why not just do a big water change, since the salt would be dissolved in the water.

Also, how long were the fish in the tank before you observed something amiss with them?

No to the bleach! Smart move.
Bunker_1, what's wrong with using bleach?

Last edited:

Liba

New Fish
Nov 15, 2008
I cleaned it out only with hot water but very thoroughly the second time. Only a couple hours or so before the fish started swimming upside down and dying. I'm going to cycle the water now, and check for ammonia now. I'm thinking its not salt and its just new tank syndrome and I didn't cycle the water. I took half of my roommates 30 gal water from his tank and put it in my own.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You used water conditioner (dechlorinator), right? Please don't be offended at my question; I'm just trying to brainstorm any possible ideas you had such quick deaths.

you cleaned out the filters, too? they weren't crusted up with salt?

Did you check the tank temp before adding the fish? Did you acclimate them?

What do you mean by intending to 'cycle the water now'? Cycling a tank means developing the vital colonies of bacteria which convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate... referring to the 'nitrogen cycle'. It would take much more than a couple of hours to experience fish deaths from not having cycled your tank. This is not new tank syndrome. Sounds more like something toxic... not a cleaner... could chlorine kill that quickly? could a drastic temperature difference? Anybody?

Liba

New Fish
Nov 15, 2008
Well sorry was real confused to tank terminology. Been cycling the tank for a couple weeks now. Thanks for all the help I have 2 cray fish, iridescent shark, and a pleco sucker thing in now they seem to be doing fine. They're all pretty small, can I add anything else now or should I wait for everything to settle in? They've been in there for about four days now. Thanks again!

Last edited: