New Tank - A Few Questions

May 30, 2005
HI,

I'm new to all this but am trying to setup a salt water fish only tank. I just have a few questions.
The setup is 125 gallons with flourescent lighting. Crushed coral gravel, no live rock, with 5 small Damsels and one small Clown. I'm using an under the tank filter system that has a couple different aggregates inside. Two tube type heaters and a power jet.

The tank has had fish for about 2 1/2 weeks. My salinity is in range and I have made no water changes. I definately do not overfeed the fish. Now, from everything I read I should experience an ammonia surge or nitrite surge. But so far both are testing as non-detectable.

The fish seem happy and the water looks maybe a little greenish. I added a protein skimmer just today.

Shouldn't I be experiencing some sort of chemical changes by now? Does it sound like I'm on the right track to make the cycle happen? Is there anything else I should be doing? Lastly, is there supposed to be anything in the protein skimmer other than water flow? I'm getting a very small amount of foam at the top but not what I was expecting.

Thansk!

Larry

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
cycling may take some time 'cause there is no die-off from live rock since you have none. In the beginning of my first SW tank, i had like only 5 pounds of LR and crushed coral + 2 damsels. Took like a month and a half. I skimmed till day 1, and the skimming slowed down the cycling process.

May 30, 2005
Thanks!

I have both black and blue Damsels. I do want to keep them. They appear to follow me wherever I go. I think I'm thier God, or just the guy that feeds them :)

Larry

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you will definitely want some LR for biological filtration

i really don't think damsels are a good long term choice unless that is all you want to keep. the thing is they will kill most fish that can't eat them and the fish that can eat them...well they will