new tank!! and questions;)

Bl33dy

Medium Fish
Jun 22, 2008
Vidor, Texas
well im happy to announce, i once again got a new tank. im not sure of the size, gallon wise, or the perimeters, but its as long as my dads 55 gallon, just not quite as tall. my cousin gave ti to me for free because he was redoing the flooring in his house and he didnt wanna bother with the water changes on his new hardwood floor. the tank came with a everything i need to keep it running, but the best things were the med size oscar, pretty black gravel and underwater filtration. im giving the oscar away tomorow to my father in-law, so i can take down my 20 gal. and put the fish fromt here in the big tank. the current inhabitants are the two " spotted leaf fish", and a bolivian ram. i intend to put a few more leaf fish in hopes that they will mate. i'd like to put a small school of some sort of corys , and a small school of some sort of livebearers to supply fry for the leaf fish to eat once they mature, and also some sort of pleco that doesnt eat drift wood because i intend to put driftwood in the tank when i find a peice i like. i'd love suggestions on all this. on what kind of corys, livebearers and plecos would be suitable for the tank?? anyway, enough of my rambling;) thanks always for any suggestions and helpful comments

Cories: I love my peppered cories, but everyone knows that. :) You could try pygmies; I think they stay pretty small. I believe emmanuel has some of those.

Livebearers: If you want quick fry and a small fish, go with guppies. Swordtails and platies might also work but they get a little larger.

Plecos: You probably want to stay away from the ones that get 12in.+. Rubberlips and Bristlenoses stay around 6 in. I think, but I'm not sure if they'd eat the driftwood.

Check the profiles here up top. There's plenty of info on sizes and compatibility.

And if you want driftwood, check out ThatFishPlace. I think they have a 35% discount for us here at MFT!

Congrats on the new tank and good luck! :D

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Cories: I love my peppered cories, but everyone knows that. :) You could try pygmies; I think they stay pretty small. I believe emmanuel has some of those.
I sure do! I have both peppered and pygmies. The pygmies stay at just under an inch long. There's three different varieties, pygmaeus, habrosus, and I can't remember the third. I have habrosus. They're really cool. I'm not sure how big the spotted leaf fish get, just so long as the cories don't fit in their mouths when they mature, they'll be all right.

Bl33dy

Medium Fish
Jun 22, 2008
Vidor, Texas
well i couldnt find a tape measurer, but im pretty sure its a 40 gallon. and i think i will go with some of the little corys, i love corys, but i dont want them to get all that big, so that works good. as for the livebearers, im really wanting something a little different, hard to find. i made friends with a guy recently that has a little business where he sets up and maintains aquariums for people and businesses, and he informed me that he bought his fish directly from a wholesaler in asia, and that he was willing to get me whatever i needed, even hard to find stuff:p only problem is, ive never looked to much intgo livebearers before, and i dont know of any "oddball" livebearers. any suggestions? and also, ive kept the rubberlipped plecos before and enjoyed them, and i really like the BN plecos, but this tank is going to be " showpeice" so to speak, and i want some sort of pleco most people havent seen before. im thinkin one of those goodlookin ones with the tiger stripes or something. and suggestions on those as well?

thanks everybody for the helpful suggestions:) keep em coming:D