New Tank Cycling - Am I Getting Anywhere?

Feb 19, 2009
Hi folks! Looking for you opinions on how my fish tank cycling is going. I have a 23g. We've been putting in media and water changes from 2 established 2.5g tanks. Below are test results recorded from an API Fresh Water Master Kit:

3/21/09
Ammonia = 0.50 ppm
Nitrite = 0.00 ppm
Nitrate = 5.0 ppm

3/28/09

Ammonia = 0.50 ppm
Nitrite = 0.00 ppm
Nitrate = 5.00 ppm

4/7/09
Ammonia = 0.25 ppm
Nitrite = 0.00 ppm
Nitrate = 10 ppm

So I gues it's good that I'm seeing ammonia go down and the Nitrates up, but I never saw a Nitrite spike. I never did find 100% ammonia so we are going with this route instead of using fish. Do we keep going like this for a few more weeks? Thanks in advance!

Jan 26, 2009
Newark DE
www.myspace.com
i think (forgive me if i'm mistaken) that if you dont add the ammonia, you wont have a spike with out fish, therefore when you add the fish, the ammonia will spike (because not enough bacteria will have built up) and potentially kill the fish, I think thats why you have to add the ammonia.... am i mistaken?

Feb 19, 2009
We are taking the gravel cleanings/water changes from the 2 2.5 g tanks and putting them into the 23g. Thinking the gunk from cleaning the rocks from the small tanks would be our source of ammonia. I was thinking it could work, only it would take longer. We've also moved some media from the small tanks to the big tanks as well to hopefully establish the bacteria growth.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
if you have filter media from old tanks you shouldnt need to cycle. just put the old filter in with a couple of fish, then add fish slowly...

my 110g immediately cycled, and i used filter media from a 30g....idk if proportionally its the same but i think you know what im getting at.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
he wasn't adding ammonia so the cycle never started.. that test results are pretty much from water he added from one tank to another...
fish waste and uneaten food in the gravel=ammonia
ammonia reading of .50 ppm=ammonia
there is ammonia
nitrates are there ...now I can't say for 100% sure why there is no nitrite spike before the ammonia decline, but I am willing to bet that it is because this tank required no "new" cycle thanks to all that media and old water. *thumbsups
I wouldn't recommend fish if I thought they were going to die ;)

unwritten brings up a good point about the method of testing? How are you testing, after adding the old water? I doubt that.
Hopefully someone else will offer a suggestion?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
all I'm saying is that if seeding a tank did not have the benefit of getting to add fish quicker, why would anyone ever do it?

In this case he is 2 weeks, no over two weeks in with this. A few more weeks would be like cycling the tank from...scratch.

However if you are adding the less "hardier" species, I'd recommend getting a few more opinions before taking my advice.
Good luck with the process whichever you decide : )

radmobile

Small Fish
Feb 8, 2009
I would try to get the ammonia up higher to start to create more bacteria. It will drop fast because you are using cycled media.
What happened with my tank was I cycled with barely any ammonia and when a few fish were added they were too much of a load on the tanks biomass causing another cycle. If there is not much ammonia in the tank to begin with bacteria population will be low because thats all that is needed to take care of the ammonia and so on.
cheers.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
unwritten brings up a good point about the method of testing? How are you testing, after adding the old water? I doubt that.

All testing was done before we added the water from the other tanks each time.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Well once you think it is done just add fish slowly at first and monitor it just like you would do normally to make sure it is completely cycled. Don't want to stock it right away and find out there is still another spike is in store for you.