New Tank Cycling Fast

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Hey, I was wondering if there is any way to cycle a tank more quickly. I currently have a five gallon, but am getting a ten gallon. I was just seeing if you could like transfer water or gravel to help cycle it. Thanks!! :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If your 5 gallon is completely cycled then like Brian said you can use the filter media from your current tank to help the new tank cycle more quickly.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Also you don't need to add fish just ammonia, basically do a fishless cycle but add some materail, such as a sponge or gravel from a cycled tank

GregBox

Small Fish
Nov 10, 2009
You could actually just use the five gallon filter in addition to the new ten gallon filter and reuse the substrate, this really speeds things along, also transfer the water from the five into the ten and then add water to that instead of all new water..

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
I might keep it for a betta tank, but I know I am not going to have fish in the fifteen for a while. I have a few projects in mind for it, so I'm basicly keeping the five for at least a few months after the fifteen has water. Sorry if thats confusing. :(

MEng

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
but what if he wants to keep the 5 gal...
do you paperdog? or are you upgrading completely?
i'm fairly new but couldnt he do a 50% water change on the old tank and instead of dumping the water, put it into the new tank, and then top up both tanks with new water?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
he could, but there really isn't any point in transferring water over, such a small amount of bacteria is free floating in the water that it usually makes more of a mess than is even worth it. The bacteria tends to colonize on any porous surfaces that are in the tank, mostly where the water has a lot of flow...like the filter media.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
well do a search on seeding a tank. I find the best thing to do is set the new tank up and get it going on a fishless cycle (or fish-in cycle if you choose) and then every other day or every 3rd day take the filter media (the dirtier the better) from your established tank and squeeze it over the new tank's filter media...and then swish it in the tank water and the water in the filter (if there's room). Then put it back in the other tank. If you have enough in the established tank to take some and put it in the new tank that will also work, but some of the bacteria will die off...so the continual transfer helps better in my experience.

The gravel acts as the filter media in a tank with an undergravel filter, but if you dont have a UGF then I'd probably stick with filter media as moving gravel over probably won't help a ton...it also won't hurt.