New tank - finally ready for the fish!

dld65

New Fish
May 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I'm a convert from a freshwater tank and I've been researching the changeover for months to saltwater. I've been setting up my new tank over the last 2 months and I think I am finally ready to go fish shopping. I have a 40 gallon tank with 20-25 lbs of live rock that has been cured. I've got my protein skimmer working away, my water testing is all good now as the tank has cycled and my levels are where they should be.
I would love some advice or suggestions on which fish you would recommend for my tank to start out. One question I have before I start is do I need to quarantine the fish I purchase since it is a totally new tank with no fish in it? Am I okay to just purchase a few fish and basically quarantine them in the new tank? I realize any other fish I purchase down the road I will need to definitely quarantine. I've seen mixed reviews on this and now I'm not sure what to do. If you think I can put the fish in the tank directly (although I will acclimate them before adding them to the tank of course) how many can I start with? I was thinking a pair of clownfish and maybe one or two others? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :D

I've moved this into the saltwater section.

Yes, you need to quarantine your first fish. If you get ich into your display tank, you won't be able to get it out without removing all fish for 6 or 8 weeks.

If you go for clowns and a few others, the clowns will probably be the last thing you should add, as they're fairly territorial for small fish. Are there any fish that appeal to you particularly?

charls

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
San Antonio, TX
WELCOME!:D

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SW TANK!!!!!

Personaly i am fond of yellow corris wrasses and yellow tangs. They are very pretty and fun to watch. Sorry i also don't do quarintine tanks, but it is always a good idea. Sorry i'm not much help. Good luck with your new tank! May your new fish swim in peace.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Im in the no qt boat as well, never have probably never will.. If i were you i would add some more rock to your tank. You want to have at least a pound of rock per gallon

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
Hi all. Since I started this hobby in January, I have been dealing with one person at my LFS. She tells me when the fish came in that I want to buy and if they are treating it for ick or not. She tells me if a fish is safe not to QT or I should because they just came in and she is not sure herself. It is important to have a relationship with someone at your LFS for this reason. I find it very helpful. For sure when spending a lot of money on SW fish. I could not be doing this hobby without MFT, for they have been most helpful. Thank you all.

dld65

New Fish
May 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice. I've been enjoying reading through these posts, what a great site!

I agree on the live rock, I was thinking I should have purchased more of it and now I wish I would have so I could have cured it all in the tank at the same time!

I've read that the clownfish can be territorial so thanks for that advice to add them last. I have been trying to research other good "beginner" fish that seem to be compatible and I was considering these. Would they work together or would I have some problems with this group?
a Royal Gramma Basslet
a Canary Wrasse
Maybe a Damselfish - but I read that they should be added last as well?
And then the pair of clownfish.

And how many would you suggest I max at. My tank isn't very large at only 40 gallons so I was thinking 5 total since hopefully they will grow.
Thanks all! I'm off to read more posts!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
There's a nice list here of beginner fish for smaller tanks. I think five small fish would be about the limit: Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

I've always heard that damsels are the worst thing to put in your tank, as they'll terrorize everything. I think you either need to go for an all-damsel tank, or not get any. I've also heard that a lot get ugly as they mature.

Wrasses are jumpers, so you'll need to make sure your tank is fully covered if you decide to get one.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Welcome to the site.......

I would add another 20-25lbs of cured live rock right now if you can......while you qt your new additions. This should be all cycled by the time your fish are ready to be added. I have gone the non-qt route and have regretted it as I lost a bunch of fish once. I wouldn't necessarily take the lfs at their word as they are not always aware of the fish they are getting in. Some may have been exposed to such things as cyanide or added stress from collection methods that may not show up right away. I always ask the lfs to feed any prospective fish to ensure that they are eating prepared foods and are ready to come home. I have had them hold fish for up to a week to make sure they are eating and healthy......

Fish suggestions for you...hmmm...I would avoid damsels as they are territorial and aggressive and have no place in a community tank.....in a dedicated damsel tank yes but not with docile tank mates. I would look at some sort of wrasses and lean towards fairy wrasses and coris wrasses, six lines can be aggressive (at least mine is a real little meanie) cardinal fish such as bangaiis and pyjamas, small pygmy angel fish *my personal favorite fish* a pair of clowns, such as skunk or tomato clowns are different.....please refrain from getting an anemone for these as it is not needed and there is no guarantee they will host it anyway and your tank is too small and young to support one. Any of the gobies are nice such as a citron/clown or watchman gobies, blenny such as midas or bicolor.....all great fish. good luck!

dld65

New Fish
May 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I hit the store today and picked up another 20 lbs of live rock. My pH was low this morning at 7.8 so I decided to hold off on the fish for another few weeks at least until this new rock is fully cured and I can get the pH a bit higher. I'm definitely glad I got the extra rock. I forgot to mention that my 40 gal tank is a tall tank (which I regret buying now of course- but I can't afford to replace the tank at this time) so the live rock is now built up nice and high and gives a lot more hiding places.
One other question for you all, having come from a freshwater tank all those years, I always ran my Magnum canister filter and used charcoal regularly.
I've got the filter running just to help clean up the water while the rock has been curing- do you all recommend that I continue to use it? Also, how often do you use charcoal. I know it can remove the good stuff from my water so I don't want to mess things up and overuse it.
Thanks again for the fish advice!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I use carbon in my reef tank (but not in my freshwater tanks) to reduce the problems from chemicals released by my leathers. They produce chemicals which can bother/kill LPS.

If you do decide to run a canister filter, clean it out weekly, and run only carbon. If it builds up bacteria it can contribute to high nitrates.