New Tank. Pictures. Wondered if anyone could help! :)

Aug 8, 2011
London, England
IMG-20110827-00016.jpg IMG-20110827-00016.jpg
IMG-20110827-00016.jpg

These are pictures of my new set up.

The plants etc are limited because of my budget and if your wondering what the little black thing is, thats the prawn thats helping my tank to cycle.

You may have noticed the tank is a bit cloudy and i was wondering if this is normal for the first few days or even hours. I completed the setting up of the tank about 6 hours before these pictures were taken and thought that the cloudiness would vanish after the tank settled. It is settled but the cloudiness is still there.

Any ideas why? Is the normal?

Sorry if im rushing it but im very new to this and want to get it right!

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks

George :D

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Hey there. The tank looks like it's off to a good start. The cloudiness in the water is the beginning of the cycling. Don't worry if it lays a while, it's the process starting to work. just be sure to give it enough time to cycle thru before you start adding fish, and def do water quality checks before adding anyone else to the tank. also, add fish slowly once you start to keep from having to re-cycle with the addition of the new fish (oh, yeah, a quality cycling takes weeks, so don't get too anxious).

what are your stocking plans? Knowing that would help to give you a better idea of what kind of decor you will eventually need. Some fish need caves and hides, while others prefer planted areas or open swimming areas.

Good luck.

Aug 8, 2011
London, England
I am planning to get some tiger barbs, cherry barbs, tetras, maybe plecos and i want some angle fish! Any advice on this selection.

And oh yeah thanks for the input! Helps a lot as im new to this and always learning!

:)

George

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I honestly don't know. I have read (sources I trust) that breeders feed a lot to get them to grow, but you then have the problem of any excess food contaminating your tank, so its a trade off. Depending how many Angels you get, you could also have problems if they pair off. On the other hand, if you raise them well and they are in good condition, I am sure you could easily trade them when they get too big and of course, by that time you may have a larger tank. Also as soon as they get big enough, you won't have any fry or other small fish because I understand they eat neons. That being said, I have two angels in a community tank which also includes a betta and misc. fish with no problems and another one that has neons and a couple of female bettas along with some platys and tetras. The angels bodies are 2 cm in diameter.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Angels can be pretty aggressive. They also can grow quite quickly. If you already have the fish in your signature, I would stick with tetras and the smaller fish you mentioned. Also, keep in mind that most common plecos do not ever really stop growing. Bristle nose ones stick to about 6" I think, and they are pretty easy to find...
Good luck!