New tank questions

Jul 19, 2005
Southern California
Hello all, first post here.

I have a 10 gallon tank with four black neon tetras in it. It's my first real tank, and they seem to be getting along great so far. They're chasing each other about and seem fine. The tank has a few fake plants (gawd those things are expensive for plastic) and a "cave" decoration, a submersible heater, and an undergravel filter.

I live in an apartment without air conditioning, and during the day the temperature in the tank does seem to get to 81 or so (not really sure, as I'm not there for most of the day). During night it cools down to about 79. These temperatures are from a mercury thermometer that rests on the bottom of the tank a few inches from any wall and about four inches or so from the heater, and I have to say that the tank doesn't feel like it's around 80 degrees when I put my hand in it. Probably just me not being used to "feeling" water temp I guess. Does having the fish at the upper limits of their temperature range during the day do any harm? I've been leaving the lights off in the tank during the day for fear of elevating the temp further. I don't think I have the heater set too high, as it's only on intermittently for a few seconds out of each minute.

When my tank gets stable, I want to add a few more fish. I was thinking a few cories, anybody have any other ideas?

thanks,
'winds

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think you're fine. I can assure you that in the wild black neons live in water far warmer than 81 or so, so while it's not a great idea for it to vary a lot, it won't hurt for it to be that high.

Cories would be good, a couple more balck neons. Some Nannostomus beckfordi pencilfish would fit well too.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hi tradewinds, welcome to the tank :) I agree on the cories after your tank has cycled. Did you do a fishless cycle or is it in the process right now?

Also, since you dont have live plants you dont need to worry about having the light on unless you're wanting to look at the tank :)

Jul 19, 2005
Southern California
FroggyFox said:
Hi tradewinds, welcome to the tank :) I agree on the cories after your tank has cycled. Did you do a fishless cycle or is it in the process right now?

Also, since you dont have live plants you dont need to worry about having the light on unless you're wanting to look at the tank :)
Cycling it the old fashioned way, Froggy.

'winds

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Nothin wrong with that :) Least ya know what it is. The higher temperatures could be bad during your cycle...you might just want to take care and do some extra water changes when your ammonia or nitrites are really high. Since ammonia becomes more lethal at higher temperatures, and water holds less oxygen at higher temperatures. The good news is that the bacteria multiply faster at higher temperatures also (thus the reason when someone is fishless cycling its suggested to crank the tank up to 83-84 degrees).

Jul 19, 2005
Southern California
FroggyFox said:
Nothin wrong with that :) Least ya know what it is. The higher temperatures could be bad during your cycle...you might just want to take care and do some extra water changes when your ammonia or nitrites are really high. Since ammonia becomes more lethal at higher temperatures, and water holds less oxygen at higher temperatures. The good news is that the bacteria multiply faster at higher temperatures also (thus the reason when someone is fishless cycling its suggested to crank the tank up to 83-84 degrees).
Thanks Froggy, I didn't know about ammonia being more lethal at higher temps. Guess I'll do a water change every three or four days rather than a week. *thumbsups