New tank setup

HI there, it's been a while since I've started a new tank so need to ask some questions again. This is actually for a friend. He has a two week old 20g tank. He has 2 filters on it that supports 20g tanks. Is that not too much? He told me today his tank is very cloudy. I'm thinking because it's still in the cycle stage but I'm wondering if those filters are too much; one should be all he need. He bought test strips and stated all his levels are good. I advised he may want to get the liquid test kit because I don't think those paper strips are really that accurate. Anyone agree? Appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
IMO two filters on a 20g tank are over kill depending on their rating and also the type of fish he will keep - some don't like that much water movement. "All levels good" means absolutely nothing. We need numbers and what is being tested. A lot of people test for pH, etc. and neglect the important ones - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and so unless they are specific it is difficult to advise. Most do recommend the API liquid test kit. Any amount of ammonia or nitrite is very bad, but nitrates should be in the 20ppm when the tank is cycled.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If both the filters are rated "up to 20g," probably 2 is a good idea. If they are both rated "20-40g" or similar, than it is probably more than necessary but depending on the fish, they may either like the extra flow or dislike it (or not care). Also assuming it is a type of filter than creates current. Regardless, the filters shouldn't make the water cloudy. Assuming there wasn't unrinsed carbon or some such in the filter. The paper strips are better than nothing and will give you a general ballpark, the liquid tests are more cost effective (more tests per $) and easier to read accurately.

What kind of cloudy is it? (green, milky, hazy, etc)