New tank size/shape?

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
As a new victim of MTS, I have a few questions.

I have just recently set up a 16 gal bowfront tank for my daughter. And thanks to this site, and a few others, it is fully cycled, fish are happy, and I'm hooked.

Now, I want to get a bigger tank for myself. Probably a FW community tank. I'm looking at something in the 40-55 gal range, but I'm unsure what to get. There are so many configurations (40L, 40 Breeder, 45, 50 55) all with different heights, widths etc.

My first choice right now is a 50 gal (36x18x18). Seems like a good compromise of surface area and height. But it sounds like more people choose the 55 (48x13x20). Is it hard to do much aquascaping in the 12 space (front to back)of a 55?

Any input or thoughts appreciated. I know this is more of a subjective area, and everyone has their personal preferences. But I would like to know what you have, and why. Or why you wish you had gotten something different.

schneirw

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Lancaster, Pa
www.the-schneiders.net
I guess it depends on what kind of fish you are going to put in the tank. If you want several types that swim at all levels (low, mid and high) you might opt for the 36x18x18 tank. I, myself, recently got a 20G tall tank and put 2 Blue Rams in it. I now wish I would have gotten the 20G long so I have more surface area since they like to roam around the low/mid levels.

Just see what space you have, plan the decorations and look at the fish you want to put in it ... maybe that'll help your decision. I'm relatively new at fishkeeping so I don't have a lot of experience to rely on. Good luck!!!

MTS ... it's a nasty disease! ;)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I've got a 45g tall for Saltwater (2' tall by 3' long), and it is a pain. It doesn't offer that much swimming room or turning room, it's mostly up and down room. If you've watched fish swim, you'll notice that the vast majority swim mostly level, not up and down as much. Plus, the entire top of the tank looks empty, unless you've got mega-tall plants. I've got this problem with a 37g tall as well... still 2' tall, just not quite as long. It's also difficult to reach down into the tank to do stuff on the bottom, and you have to stick your entire arm into the tank if you need to do stuff in there. There's less bottom room for bottom dwellers, as well. If the 37g should break, I'd replace it with a 46g bow for the extra bottom room and wider swimming room (the tank is on a 46g bow stand, anyways).

So, I'd say if space isn't an issue and you've got the choice, go for a long, wide tank versus a tall tank. Both my tall tanks were bought used, so I didn't have a choice. The reason most people go for the 55s are because they're the most common and are generally available. The extra 5 gallons doesn't really matter that much as far as stocking levels, and the wider area allows for more territories and room for fish to stay out of each other's way.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
the 40 gallon breeder is an awesome size/shape tank. Plenty of room for aquascaping since it is not overly tall. It is much better than the 55 in my opinion.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think 55g tanks are popular because they're a common size and at a good price for the size, but they are limited in terms of aquascaping. A 40g breeder is a nice tank for aquascaping. Some fish will look better in a taller tank (such as angelfish), but if a planted tank is your priority, I'd get something that looks like it has potential and work out the fish later. We have one strange size tank that is 72" x 15" x 18" (as far as I remember), which is great for all our bottom dwellers. If you're going for planted, also take the length into consideration for lighting. Some lighting sizes are more common/cheaper than others, so you'll want to check that you'll be able to get the lighting you want for the tank at an affordable price.