New tank w/cichlids and catfish

Nov 27, 2005
Last night we finally went to the pet store to buy sharks but ended up with catfish instead. These catfish are about 6-8" and have long whisker things. They're really nice looking.

We put them in a 55 w/2/green terror cichlids, the pet store knew nothing about these fish. Some of the questions I asked were, How big will they get, what do they eat and etc. They knew nothing and you should have saw the show these 3 people put on just to get them into a bag, one fell to the floor.*twirlysmi

Does anyone know what these catfish are and what to feed? I picked up spirulina as an educated guess (there was a picture of a catty on the label) lol.

How about cichlids, what do they eat? I have an assortment of foods on hand like brine shrimp for example. :confused:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Do you know what they were called? Long whiskers indicate they're predators. If you don't remember, call the store and get their names -- especially the scientific names if they can tell you since many common names aren't universal.

Nov 27, 2005
They told me they could not give me any info only that they r peaceful commuuuuuunty fish. I don't know the name. Neiter did they.....thy look lik cats
you'dd find in the wild.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You should be able to find them at planetcatfish.com, if they aren't in the profiles here. Maybe synodontis of some sort? Are the whiskers branched and frilly looking? Or just long? Try the spirulina, or better yet sinking shrimp pellets. I'm not aware of a catfish that won't eat sinking shrimp pellets (unless maybe some plecos won't?) :D.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
kristar1982 said:
They told me they could not give me any info only that they r peaceful commuuuuuunty fish. I don't know the name. Neiter did they.....thy look lik cats
you'dd find in the wild.
Yikes! They don't know anything about them? I'd do some research to find out what they are and find another place to buy my fish! :rolleyes: