New Tank Water Problems

jrella

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2007
I got my first 2 fish on tuesday, last night I noticed one of the clowns breathing a lil heavy, immediately checked my water and found that my ammonia and nitrite were both at .25, my nitrate is somwhere between 5.0 and 10 (the colors are almost identical on the chart so thats the best I can come up with) I removed 4g, I only had tap water on hand so I treated it with prime and cycle, mixed it with instant ocean and poured it in about 2 hrs later. I tested today and the ammonia is back at 0, nitrite is somewhere between 0 and .25, both fish are acting normal, should I do another water change tonight, (if so it'll have to be tap water again, for now...) or just keep testing and see ???

jrella

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2007
2 Percula clowns, they seem to be doing fine now, I was a lil worried last night, I think I'm gonna leave it at just these 2 fish for a while, in the meantime what should I do about the water situation ??

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Nitrite isn't poisonous to saltwater fish. But, you'll need to keep an eye on the ammonia for the next few days/week.

Two fish in a 24g tank is a fair amount to add with a very new tank.

You definitely need to make sure you have RO water or saltwater available to do a water change in an emergency.

jrella

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2007
Started the tank July 19th, the rock was already cured, and I tested the water every few days, about 2 weeks ago, I added some bacteria package Bio spure, or something like that.