New Tank with Platys

littlejack

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2007
Hi. I am new to all this. Put 4 Platys in my new tank last week. Then I saw a baby platy couple of days later. then in the last few days, I can't seem to see baby anywhere - is it gone, eaten by others, lying dead somewhere. I wasn't prepared for this. What should i do?
Also, my tank seems to be very cloudy? any suggestions?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Welcome to the Tank!

Have you read the stickies at the top of this forum detailing what cycling is and how it works? Your tank is cycling -- establishing its biofilter which will make the tank safe for fish long term.

Can you tell us about your tank? Size, how you prepared it for fish? Do you have a test kit? Have you tested your water?

littlejack

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2007
Thanks everyone for welcome.
I haven't read stickies Seleya. Littleman 2001 i have loads of hiding places but still not sure where baby could be. i suppose i should of separated the baby (or babies) from parents as soon as i saw them.

Thanks

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Hey Jack, welcome! I have a quick cycling explanation on my personal website. Make sure you read up on cycling ASAP, otherwise your fish won't be alive much longer. Your fry was probably eaten by the parents...or died from ammonia poisoning (part of the cycle). If it was ammonia, the parents will soon be dying as well, get up to date on your cycling!

littlejack

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2007
Thanks everyone.
Platys still alive at the moment - 1 week inn tank.
Still no sign of fry - probably eaten.
Want to introduce new fish in about a weeks time - any suggestions for colourful friendly fish to accompany my platys?

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Hey Littlejack! You came to right place for help with your new tank. Take it from me, another novice, that it takes time to complete the cycle while you've got fish. My new tank with 2 platies still isn't done cycling after a month. Due to the toxins, I already lost a cory. Unless you want to have more dead fish than alive, please read the info about cycling a tank! Luckily platies are one of hardiest and can survive the cycle if you keep the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates levels in check with partial water changes. You'll need daily water changes for a while to save the fish. Your fish will greatly appreciate it ;)