New Tank

John

New Fish
Sep 28, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello all,

New to the saltwater tanks. My question is regarding cycling a tank, I reed enough to be more confused, so many people give different advise, So I found this site I though some would be able to help?

Tank is set-up and running for about 3 weeks now.
It is a 90-gallon with over flow.

Ph is maintained at 8.2.
I used some live rock, "cycle" and 10 damsels to get the cycling off to a good start. For the past week the ammonia is off the scaled around 8.2. The past two days the Nitrite is coming up to about 2.5 and over the past day the Nitrate is coming up to 15.

The question I have is, should the ammonia start coming down by now? I did loose 8 of the damsels, however two are ok. Do a perform a water change or change the foam pad in the filter as some suggest? Or do I leave it and let it run its coarse.

Thanks a head of time for the help.
John
:rolleyes:

Attachments

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
dang 10 damsels! You really don't need to cycle with damsels these days or any live fish.

You just have to let the cycle run it's course and if the ammonia is still high over 3 weeks then you should do a water change.

THe ammonia should be going down but if not, then remove all dead fish and do water changes.

In that pic I dont see any live rock, how much do you have in there would be my first question.

The next thing you have to do ir remove all fish (dead and alive)

Ok with that size tank you will need at least 50-60lbs of live rock then just wait the cycle can take upto a month depending on how often you do water changes.

Remember you cant rush anything when it comes to a Salt water tank, it all takes time:)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
I READ SOMEWERE YOU SHOULD VERY HAVE MORE THEN 3 DAMSELS IN 1 TANK. NO MATTTER HOW BIG. THEY SAY THE REASON FISH STORES GET AWAY WITH IT IS CAUSE THEY CRAM SO MANY THEY CANT ESTABLISH TERRATORY. AGIN THIS IS NOT MY OPION OF FACT JUST SOMETHING I READ MAYBE THAT WHY THEY DIED NOT THE WATER.