New Tank

John

New Fish
Sep 28, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello all,

New to the saltwater tanks. My question is regarding cycling a tank, I reed enough to be more confused, so many people give different advise, So I found this site I though some would be able to help?

Tank is set-up and running for about 3 weeks now.
It is a 90-gallon with over flow.

Ph is maintained at 8.2.
I used some live rock, "cycle" and 10 damsels to get the cycling off to a good start. For the past week the ammonia is off the scaled around 8.2. The past two days the Nitrite is coming up to about 2.5 and over the past day the Nitrate is coming up to 15.

The question I have is, should the ammonia start coming down by now? I did loose 8 of the damsels, however two are ok. Do I perform a water change or change the foam pad in the filter as some suggest? Or do I leave it and let it run its coarse.

Thanks a head of time for the help.
John
:rolleyes:

Attachments

Last edited:

John

New Fish
Sep 28, 2003
New York
Visit site
Thanks but there is only the two left, should I not leave them it the tank? Also what about the ammonia?

Thanks John I thought 10 would be ok for a 90 gallon tank.?

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You need to do some mighty water changes and fast - ammonia at 8.2 is so high your tank won't cycle, it's so high it will stop the various bacteria growing at max speed.
I find it almost beyond comment that you've killed 80% of your livestock so far in just 3 weeks - if a shop advised you to cycle with damsels they should be destroyed. It's simply inhumane and it's not acceptable to say 'they're just damsels'
My advise - 50% water change today, 25% till ammonia below 1, stick to the 2 damsels and wait till it drops to zero by itself. Don't change the filter pad and buy a remora pro or get a recommondation for an insump skimmer - I don't have a good idea of what's good at the moment. You mention your tank has an overflow therefore I assume you have a sump.
Also get some more live rock, but buy it cured 5 kilos ata time to minimise ammonia spikes. Your super high ammonia levels will have killed most of the stuff except bacteria that's on the current stuff.

John

New Fish
Sep 28, 2003
New York
Visit site
Thanks Wayne,

Not only did this pet store tell me this would happen that I would loose most if not all, but all the pet stores I spoke to said the same. I read for months before purchasing the tank and etc. Were is does say to cycle the tank use a cheap fish!

But thanks for the advise, I will do a water change today as you pionted out. I won't name the site that indecates to never do a water change even if the ammonia goes to high, they say it only delays the cyling process.

Now you know why I said there are so many options out that what is right or wrong it makes it very hard for us to get into the hobby.

Thanks again John

Last edited:

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
John,

Each side has a reason as to whether or not to do water changes. Water changes are most likely the only chance the last 2 damsels have for survival. But, doing the water changes will probably increase the length of your cycle. While you may feel this is confusing, both answers can be correct, depending on what your goal is.

Brian

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well if his ammonia is up at 8 then I'd suspect it's so harmful it might inhibit the development of his cycle.
Whatever, I still feel it's inhumane and positively immoral of shops to recommend this. John - you live in a big city - go find a better lfs - I don't know New YOrk so I don't know where, but this is not a good way to continue. Your aim in fishkeeping is to keep fish alive.
I can also suggest the usual reading - Mike Palettas New Marine aquarium and Robert Fenners Conscientious Marine Aquarist. These are too good books where you will learn basic stuff about aquaria, and how to make this a satisfying long term operation, as I fear that if you keep getting such poor advice, the resulting death toll on fish will soon damage your morale.

John

New Fish
Sep 28, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello All,

Thank you for the advise. It is another lesson learned! On a good note last night I tested the water before I preformed a water change, the ammonia is starting to drop :) the Nitrite is at the highest level and the Natrate is still going-up it is now around 25. So I'm going to give it a few days and watch the ammonia.

The really good news is the two damsels are starting to move around allot more this morning, I'm assuming this is a good sign.

Now for the said news, I consulted two other major fish stores last night and I received the same advise to use damsels or even I was told there is another fresh water fish I could use.

Thanks for all the help..
John

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That is truly sad news. It's no wonder 60 or 70 % of new saltwater people give up with in a year if that's the quality of advice they're going to get.
I'm glad to hear your levels are flattening, but I' bet I'm not nearlyas glad as the damsels!

John

New Fish
Sep 28, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello all

Thought I would drop by and let you all know the Tank is doing great, I know have some fish :) A little problem with brown alga, but I think I can take care of that.

John

Last edited: