New Tank

Jun 17, 2005
I'm going to be picking up a 30 gallon tank and I'm going to go with a saltwater tank this time around. I have two freshwater tanks and have been keeping freshwater fish for a few years now. I've been researching the topic and so far I have a few questions. I need a complete list of things I'll need to get this saltwater tank going and maintained. This is what I have so far -

-Sand
-Live Rock(1 lb. per gallon= 30 lbs. of Live Rock)
-Powerhead(not sure what kind)
-Heater
-Protein Skimmer

I know I'm missing some things and I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on what I'm missing and what type of power head to get. How expensive is live rock usually, and would I be able to purchase it at a regular pet store? Also, I was told with sand and live rock I wouldn't need an actual filter, just something like a protein skimmer. Is this true? Or should I get a filter anyways, and if so what kind? I was also hoping to get an anemone because the first two fish I want to get are clown fish and supposedly with an anemone in the tank they're quite easy to breed. Now in the ocean anemones usually kill all fish accept for clown fish because of their slimy coat. Will an anemone kill other fish that I get and put in the tank? Am I forgetting anything to get for the tank?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
The powerhead i'll leave to someone else with more product knowledge. Live rock varies depending on where you live, if you live in the states then from what i hear it's usually anywhere between 5-8 dollars a pound. Everyone who comes over from fresh always shows some form of disbelief when they hear they dont need a filter, the only reason you might need a HOB filter is to run carbon or a small little refugium...etc. I'd say you probably need a skimmer for a 30 gallon, although some might argue you could get away with frequent water changes.

You'll find A LOT of people will discourage you from getting an anemone, they're very hard to keep unless you have very good lighting, and pristine water. If you're starting out, you will not have that.

I've only had sw tank for around 6 months, and i still know very little about the hobby, just basics. Read up, post question, ask around, never buy anything without reading about it first.

good luck.

Jun 17, 2005
Well I'm still debating whether I want to go saltwater with this next tank or not, because I was told that you can only have about an inch of fish per five gallons of water in the tank. So in a thirty gallon tank that's like 2 clown fish. I just feel like all this time, money and effort would be a waste for only two fish.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I would say a 30 gallon could do 2 clownfish no problem, that would be a very lightly stocked 30 gallon. Any idea what else you might want? you could have up to 4-5 small fish in a 30 gallon and still be alright. although "some conditions may apply"

Jun 17, 2005
Well I don't know much about saltwater fish, but I saw some of these fish that were in a tank with some black and white clownfish that were all black themselves with streaks of blue across their bodies. There about the same size as clown fish but they aren't exactly clownfish. The streaks of blue look like small tears in there flesh that leave a dark shiny blue color across them. Very pretty fish. I was thinking maybe one of those and I don't know what else lol.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
1. Get a powerhead that can shift 250 gallons per hour. Sounds big, but it isn't really.
2. Live rock will be the key to your filtration. Regular pet shops likely won't have it, but better lfs's will.
3. You can probably get 4 smallish fish in there, and that will be a nice stable tank. In terms of size and temperament most salt fish are more like cichlids than tetras , so if you want a tank stuffed with fish you will be disapppointed.
4. Anemone's are tough to keep alive, and I would advise you to steeer well clear of them. they will undoubtedly call for a 'significant investment' in lighting