New Tank

bmw3027

Small Fish
Aug 11, 2005
I have an Eclipse 5g Hex tank that I currently have some fish in. I did have a Dalmation Molly and a Swordtail but they both died. I am left with 5 neon tetras, 1 dawn platy, 2 ottos, 1 balloon molly, and small newborn fry. I have not identified the fry yet. I am probably going to add a small snail in the near future, but I think I am set for fish right now. Any suggestions??? *GOLDFISH*

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
I agree with snoce. That's too many fish for a 5 gallon, so I would hold back on the snail. And maybe you could get rid of the neon tetras, or get rid of the ottos, the molly, and the platy.

bmw3027

Small Fish
Aug 11, 2005
I don't know what caused their death. They were fine that day. I left for a couple hours, and they were floating. All of the others are swimming around fine. I am not adding any more fish to the tank. My ph is 7.0 and I change 20% of the water every week. I am going to test the other levels to see if that may have caused it.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Good call...probably ammonia, nitrite or a combination of the two. How long has the tank been set up?

Your pH is exactly 7.0? Do you add any chemicals to the tank to get it there?

bmw3027

Small Fish
Aug 11, 2005
I use a stablizer (not sure of the name) that usually holds the ph to 6.8-7.2 for about a month. The tank has been set up for almost a month. If the ammonia or nitrite levels are high, I am going to see if my local dealer has Bio-Spira to stabalize the condition. My guess is the tank did not fully cycle and now I am seeing the effects.

Last edited:

bmw3027

Small Fish
Aug 11, 2005
Test results

I found that my ammonia and nitrite levels may be what killed my two fish. Here are all the readings i got:

ph 7.0 good
ammonia slighlty less than 4.0 high
Nitrate 30 borderline high
Nitrite 7 high
hardness 50 good
alkalinity 120 good

I added a chemical that eliminates some of the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Does anyone have other suggestions to resolve this asap???