New Tank

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
*twirlysmi Not mine, but I made you look *SUNSMILE* Our LFS has really old tanks, but he decided to step up and buy a new frag tank. The tank is really nice, its 60x24x24, I really like this tank and I may buy the same tank but a bit wide, from to back, maybe 30". The tank has what he calls a Cali over flow, I like this also. The over flow runs across the back of the tank on the top with two drains into the sump and one return. I would say the overflow is about 4" deep and about 4" wide. The bottom glass of the over flow box has a lip that exteneds into the tank about 2", and you can set frag plugs on it. Now for the good part, he got one of our loacl reefers to build him an LED light system for the tank, it really looks sharp. They had to redo some of the lights as they had two many white bulbs and non enogh blue bulbs. The one kinda, sort of bad thing about this tank. The lights don't go all of the way to the back of the tank. What this does is causes the back of the tank under the overflow box to be kinda dark. I don't know if you ran the lights all of the way to the back of the tank, how much of the light would pass thru the glass overflow box and lite up the back section of the tank, the back is also painted black so I am sure that dosn't help. The man who made the lights said he would build any of us the lights if we wanted for $1,300.00. I know that sounds like alot, but he said the parts alone run right at $700.00, and you have to solder two wires to each bulp and their are alot of bulbs. The skimmer he bought for the tank, I bought from him before he opened the box lol. He bought a new one, a BK something or another. Anyway, what are your thoughts on this overflow box. That was really what I wanted to know, before I got side tracked and started telling you all about the tank :cool: One more thing that really surprised me, was how high the LED lights were off of the water. The man told me that is how high the lights need to be. They took some par readings when setting the height of the lights.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
if your getting a custom tank you should get an external overflow! itll be the same way your talking about going across the whole back of the tank but itll be on the outside of the tank so it doesnt take up any room inside the tank/no shadows ect... on the LED's if your planning SPS id skip that idea... i know of a few people in my reef club who had them and had to switch because they wernt getting the growth/color they wer looking for... if you want softies/lps they r fine but for sps id go either MH or t5

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
yea im never happy! its always just one more thing i need! i just need some lumenarc reflectors and thats all, and maybe a pair of tunze 6060's, than it should be time for some bulbs i think i wanna try some radium 20k's but thats it! BUT THATS NEVER IT! thers always something bigger and better... i guess i just need some self control lol