New Tank

Mar 1, 2013
Hello!

I just purchased my first aquarium, a Fluval Spec 5 gallon tank. It comes standard with a 7500k LED light with Day and Night settings. I currently have the tank set up with fake decorations and have it running to prep for some fish... but now I'm thinking I want to do a planted tank instead, because that's originally what I always saw myself doing.

However... the reading I have done makes a planted tank seem like a daunting task. I have no idea where to begin. I know I need to look at low light plants, but not sure what plants would be compatible for the small size or the look I want. I don't know if there are any 'ground cover' like grasses or mosses... how to attach moss to wood or rock... do I need a Co2 attachment.... whats the best substrate... is my stock light sufficient?

Is there a straightforward step-by-step guide anywhere (preferably with pictures) to aide me in this potential project? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Welcome to tankers anonymous!

Are you fishless cycling this tank? What do you intend to stock it with? A 5gal is a small tank, but there's always options.

As you've probably read, java fern and anubias are some basic low-light plants that don't require a fancy substrate. You don't bury the roots/rhyzome on them. Basic, stock fluorescent or LED lighting should work OK for low light plants in a shallower tank like a 5-10gal.

Mar 1, 2013
Re:

I've been looking at Java and Christmas mosses because I want to do a soft looking ground cover as opposed to a grass. I've found a few plants that I like that are classified as low light compatible. The tank is currently empty as far as fish go. I've got a few decorations I bought at the pet store in there, but as I said i'm thinking I may want to do a planted tank.

I live in washington and there are lots of places I can collect driftwood and rock, what would I need to do to treat them before placing them in the tank? How long does the tank need to run with new plants before putting fish in? Do I need to have a co2 tank attached, or can the plants do without? And what/how do I test the water to make sure it's suitable for fish. I haven't quite picked out fish yet, but I may do a couple 2" mid swimmers and a few smaller fish either bottom dwellers or mid. Probably put a couple shrimp in there too.

Is there a good place to buy good plants without spending an arm and a leg?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Firstly, read-up on fishless cycling / nitrogen cycle. You need to get your tank established before adding fish. It takes some time and doing. You've got some research to do my friend! It can be done with a fish or two with (or without) some store-bought "starter" products, but fishless is best.

2, 2" fish in a 5gal would be max. Ideally, a single male betta or 3-4 small danios. Local fish/pet stores would be easiest and cheapest for aquatic plants. Make sure they are true aquatic. Some can be labeled and placed in the store such that you'll think they're aquatic when they are not. I like LFS's best for plants, but Petsmart/ Petco is ok too. You can mail-order too. More $$$, but quality stuff.

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Remember plants can bring in snails. Also is it the shipping on plants that aren't local that costs. Are there any clubs around your area because that is one way people share plants. Joel is right about the number of fish you can have and also you need to consider their characteristics. A betta will be all over the tank - top to bottom. Neons are pretty good at moving around also - I think most of the tetras are. What you don't want in a tank that size IMO are mollies or similar fish because they are so active.