New Tank

Newhobby

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
Visit site
I am starting a 29 gal saltwater tank. I have purchase so far crushed coral, emperor 280 bio wheel. These items where all suggested by my LFS. May plans are to slowly learn how to properly run a salt water tank then move up to a 55 gal with a reef. There a just a few question I have.

1. Is what the LFS suggested to purchase do the job?

2. Should I add base rock to my tank after cycle has completed and how mcuh?

3. Can I keep fish like a yellow tang, dimino demsel, and fish of this nature togather and how many?

More question to come

Thank in advance.

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
Sorry but..., most people nowadays use live rock (@ 1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon) and a Deep Sand Bad (4" to 6" deep) for their biological filtration so you may want to ditch the biowheel. If your planning on only keeping fish(no other inverts such as corals etc.) you can use the boiwheel. Biowheels are too efficient at converting ammonia to nitrites and then nitrates. The problem in SW is that nitrates are deadly to invertebrates. Live rock along with a DSB will take the place of the mechanical filter for biological filtration.
The issue with crushed coral is that it too can be a nitrate factory by keeping all the dissolved matter below it's surface where the nitrate cycle also takes place. Many people use the DSB method for a substrate. A deep sand bed gives you the benefit of denitrification due to the anaerobic conditions in the lower leves of the bed. The one issue with the dsb is that you need to have a combination of critters (hertmit crabs, nassirus snails, conchs, cucumbers etc.) to turn the sand bed over so that toxic substances don't generate in the anaerobic areas.
As for your fish, tangs are much too large for a 29 gallon tank and domino damsels can be pretty aggressive which may cause you problems when adding other peaceful fish.
I would suggest you buy The Conscientios Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. This book will give you a good idea, in laymans terms, how to start and maintain a marine aquarium. Take it slow, this hobby can be too expensive to make mistakes that could have been avoided with a little research.

Brian

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Mike Palettas book is very good too. I would not trust your lfs is they are suggesting the above, read these books, plus others, look at some working tanks and just try to research, research, research.
The more research the easier this will be for you, get it wrong and this can be a pricey disaster. Learn about live rock, filtration, berlin method, skimmers, ecosystem, what stock are suitable.....