new tankmates

Oct 11, 2005
i have a 29 gallon tank and would like to add some more fish to it. any suggestions on what to add? the tank looks kinda empty and i have had all these fish for more than a year.

i already have:
1 goldfish
2 plecos
1 brownknife
3 drawf gouramis
2 mollies
3 danios
1 spotted dojo
1 alge thing(dont know what he is)
3 small tetras
2 little fish about 1 inch long(dont know what they are either)

all these fish except the brownknife and spotted dojo are only 1-2 inches
knife and dojo are 3-4 inches

thanks wendy

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hi Wendy welcome to MFT. :) If I were you I think I'd do some more research on the fish that you have in the tank and maybe look around the boards for other people with similar tank sizes to see what kind of fish can be kept together in that size of tank. You might decide to try to take some of the fish you have back to the store in trade for some that are more suitable for your tank?

Usually when you're planning a tank its best to take into account the size that that fish will be when it is an adult so that you dont run into overcrowding issues and territory issues as time goes on. One example in your tank is the brown knife can get relatively large and likes to eat smaller fish so those small tetras and other small fish might be his lunch when he gets a little bigger. You also need to know which fish will get along with each other, and how each fish likes to socalize. For instance...your mollies. Depending on the sex of the ones you have, its best to keep them in at least a group of three, two females for every male because the male will tend to pick on the females. The other thing you should look at are the specific needs dietary, temperature, water conditions that each fish needs in comparison to the others. For instance Goldfish shouldn't be kept with other tropical fish, as they are a coldwater fish and do best at lower temperatures.

I dont have any suggestions for fish that I would add to that tank if it were mine.

Oct 11, 2005
thanks for the insight. i will look more into the kind of fish in my tank...but for now ill leave them be. like i said they been together for a year or so with no probs. other than the plecos picking on eachother now and again...lol

wendy