New tanks Ideas!!

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
Ok flipper has been in his tank for alomost 2 years now and well it's boring now.
Ineed to clean it out and stuff but I wantto change it a bit for him. I almost want to get a tank mate or even a divider for the tank and put a gold fish on the other side or and other betta,

Don't get me wrong I love Flipper it's just that he seems kinds lonely.

this is his tank...MINUS the figures in it

I need to seriously perk it up!

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
The tank itself is very nice, its the decorations (probably even without the cartoon figures) that im not sure on.

If i was you i wouldent do the egg crate idea becasue i dont think it will work well and will look odd.

Change the gravel to a finer gravel, something like a solid black (crushed glass type)

Buy a solid blue background :D, loose the fake rock and plant, and get a bushy fake plant in the far right corner that bushes out over the tank (not too big :D)

Hope that helps.. abit..

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
I'd say go with getting a single adf or maybe a few mystery snails,Goldfish need at least 10/20 gallons just for one or thats what i've read at least and they are cold water fish while bettas are tropical just thought i'd say.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
See if you can get a couple handfuls of eco complete, sand, or just a small bag of finer gravel. Maybe a few hardy, low light plants, a couple rocks, and a small piece of driftwood. (if you can find driftwood with a cave in it, that's even better)

As for tankmates, a single ADF, single mystery snail, or single Oto is about the only thing I could see in there with him.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Cory is not the best idea since 1 would be pretty unhappy alone and any more would be a big stress on such a small tank. I'd go with the ADF or maybe 1 platty or something similar if Flipper can play nice. ;)

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Hmm I think he can learn to play nice.

He flares at me so ya think he's attack another in his tank?

What if I got a ADf and floated him/her for a while to see how he reacts to another in his tank?

At least I would know then and if he freaks out I can return the frog un harmed.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
It all depends on the individual fish. Crowntails are notoriously mean, but doing a complete tank change before introducing the ADF might help some, make it less of a territory battle if he doesn't recogonize it.

J@ke

Small Fish
Feb 10, 2007
KY
www.facebook.com
Just a quick question and suggestion. First, why is the tank water so low? My suggestion would be to go with a smaller substrate and perhaps add a low light live plant ( Like java fern or java moss )

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
water was low in that picture because of the heater int he left back corner...
I do keep it up it tends to evap quick I don't know why either.

I will defiately get smaller rocks in there and that will make the tank look bigger and also his cave hido hole will go away too and be replaced with a plant of some sort/ real or fake I shall shee when I go to the LFS and see what they have there for me to pick from.

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
how about putting a oto fish in there they are cute little fish. Or maybe even a snail. Just a suggestion. Maybe even put different color rock like a nice aqua green or red. Also maybe put a small castle in for him to hide in, or those small figurines that say like no fishing or something. What ever you decide i am sure it will look nice. Good luck

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
ok I got some rock blue/lite blue/green...they didn't have any one there to help me with the plants so I'll have to wait on that.

I will clean the tank really really well and wash the new rock and then start over.

I'll take some pictures after I am done.

Hope Flipper likes it.

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Well my LFS didn't have any Oto cats or ADF they will be here in a week.
So I got 2 Java plants for Flippers tank and will tuck them in the rock today.

He is very mad at me, there is nothing in his tank and he is hanging out on
the bottom and so I turned the water flo up ont he pump and he was hanging in it and looking at me like Hey mom turn this off...so it's back to a trickle like flow...man so hard to please a betta sometimes.

edited to say:

This is what I put ont eh blue folder for flipper to look at:

Last edited: