New tanks!

jjhabe

Medium Fish
Jan 9, 2006
Portland, OR
Hi everyone! I'm very excited to get your opinions. I have a 10g that is complete, and am ready to get a 40g started. The only fish I know I want is two kissing gouramis. Any ideas on what would be compatible? Never done bigger fish before!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You may want to do some more research on the kissers if you haven't... http://www.myfishtank.net/freshwaterprofiles.php?profile=68 here's our old profile on them (hasn't been converted to the new format yet). I'm not sure that a 40 gallon tank is large enough for a fish that gets a foot long...

Also not entirely sure what is compatible with gouramis...definitely not bettas :) Maybe a school of harlequin rasboras or a type of tetra you like?

If you started fishless cycling the new tank (assuming you already have it) then you'd have a few weeks to really decide on how you want to stock it.

jjhabe

Medium Fish
Jan 9, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks for the kind help. I did more research and decided I'd better get a bigger tank, so I took the 40g back before I even started. I was thinking two of them, a bala, and a few tiger barbs, but my main concern is the kissers being healthy, so I'll wait 'til I can afford it!

SPIKE88

Medium Fish
Dec 8, 2005
Ohio
You may need to rethink this tank bala's can reach like 14 inches and they should be kept in groups of at least 5, for this you would need at least 150 gallons, probably more

jjhabe

Medium Fish
Jan 9, 2006
Portland, OR
I have a 75 on hold right now. I know that three of these fish could grow to be a foot or more, and I'm getting a 100 from a friend soon as a back up for my monster fish. But for now, knowing the bigger tank is there if we need it, I want two kissing gouramis (saw them doin' thar thang today), a bala shark, two kribs, six tiger barbs and three cories. I'll move them, I promise, when things get a little snug, but this is my dream tank. Please feel free to make me feel bad for even considering fish A with fish C. I figured my dreams will be dashed all over the rocks of fake plastic anyway.