New Tanks!!!

Ravenstar

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2009
So from the sounds of it, I'm going to be inheriting a 10G from family and purchasing a tank from a fellow on Craigslist. It's a 29G that comes with a stand, lighted hood, filter, decorations, gravel, heater, bubbler, and fish, all for $85 (what a steal!). I asked him about the fish that were currently in the tank, and (after he sent pics and I searched the interwebs) we determined he has a small eel (that I don't know much about), 1 albino cory cat, and 2 tiger barbs.

I've read that barbs like to nip fins, and I was thinking of putting my crowntail betta Io as the centerpiece fish in the 29G. Does anyone have information on the eel thing, and do you think an albino cory would school with nanus cories or should I just take them all to my LFS for credit?

Also, for the 10G I was thinking of having a betta sorority. How many would be good (3? 5? I hear odd numbers are best...), and would I have room for something else like some snails or maybe cories?

Thanks for the input!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Congrats! I got my 20gal out of somebody's garbage... haha!!
Great that it's a 15! It's always amazing getting more than you bargained for!
I though my new 20 was a 15.
I wouldn't want to put in barbs with a betta... Barbs are a bit nippy!
I don't know what you mean by "eel thing"... that's not very descriptive...
Congrats again!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Congrats! I got my 20gal out of somebody's garbage... haha!!
Great that it's a 15! It's always amazing getting more than you bargained for!
I though my new 20 was a 15.
I wouldn't want to put in barbs with a betta... Barbs are a bit nippy!
I don't know what you mean by "eel thing"... that's not very descriptive...
Congrats again!

Ravenstar

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2009
Uhm...it's in the top picture in front. The owner doesn't know what it is (he's not very knowledgeable about his tank in general o.o;), and I've never come across teeny eels before, so...*shrug* I've been able to ID all the other fish though.

And yeah, everywhere says barbs are too nippy for bettas. Even though they sound like they'd be really cool to have a school of in a tank, for right now I'll go without.

Ravenstar

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2009
Yeah that looks like a Kuhlii loach, I can sorta make out his barbels in the picture. That's interesting, I never thought of keeping loaches...I wonder how they would fare in a tank with either tetras or rasboras and a betta? I might just stick with cories for the bottomfeeders though.