New to all this

davidt1

New Fish
Jul 8, 2008
Hi,

I am a beginner looking for a long 10 gallon tank 24 x 9 x 12. My local Petsmart, Walmart, etc. don't have this size. They only carry the regular 20 x 10 x 12 tank. Where else should I look? Thanks.

charls

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
San Antonio, TX
HI! First of all WELCOME TO THE TANK! :D

Aside from those places maybe your LFS, most of the time they will speaical order for you or at least they do where i live. If you really wanted that tank and you couldn't find it anywhere else you could always order online. But i would do that as a last resort.

Rayneuki

Large Fish
May 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
Try Craigslist!
That's where I got my new 30gal long. It came with a stand, two filters ect... all for 60$ *twirlysmi

If you do Craigslist, make sure you search in your city (most people won't ship tanks) and make sure it's somewhere you can drive/get someone to drive to so you can pick it up.

Also, it might take a while that way. Good deals are there, you just have to look :p

Jul 8, 2008
Glasscages.com - Home

I know they have a 1/2 10gal. I think its 20x10x6 (LxWxH).
Thanks for the link. They have so many to choose from, and prices are reasonable. OK, their 10 gallon tank is $20, almost twice what I paid at Walmarts. Should I go for an acrylic tank? Should I go for a tall tank, if I intend to hang the filter inside the tank? More choices and more confusion.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
I'm just wondering why you are looking for a odd size tank ??? If its just because you like the looks thats nice, but as you are starting to find out, when you customize a tank it takes a lot of looking for the odd stuff. Since you are new to all this as you say, in my opinion i would stay with the stock materials untill you get good at keeping a aquarium. I found it can become expensive and frustrating when you start buying seperate componets to make a tank. Heck i found out the hard way with a full deluxe 10gal setup from walmart (which after all the trinkets) i spent about $100. Of course many dead fish later i learned about this site and learned alot. I guess my next question is, have you ever had an aquarium before ????? If you have i wish you happy hunting but if you haven't i would seriously look over this site for all the threads that might have the answers that you are looking for. Just brouse around and ask all the questions you can before you throw fish in your tank ( i'm hoping you can find every thing you want). Good luck to you.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Hey Guys!

Well..I'll just say that I kinda agree with whiskers in the sense that if this is your first tank I would take it easy on what your getting. However! It is YOUR tank...so get whatever you want. Remember, only listen the the fine folks here for advice...dont let anyone tell you what to do with your tank. In the end, it only has to look good to you. Having a tank like that will set it apart from most tanks with its same capacity.

So, good luck in your new tank, and remember...everyone here will try to help you as much as possible. Please heed the advice given..most of the users here are almost experts in keeping fish.

-Jay