New to Aquariums

Oct 26, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I am new to aquariums but I finally decided to get one. Just as a little background on my set up.

-56 Gallon column style tank that is 30Lx18Wx24H with all glass top
-2 Marineland LED lights (one on each side of the brace bar) the total lumens is 620.
-45lbs of Pure Water Pebbles Gravel
-6 Mini Fake Plants, 1 corner fake coral piece, and 1 large coral piece with spots to hide
-1 4" air-stone circle and 1 12" air stone bar
-Fusion 500 air pump with silicone hose and air check valves
-Hydor Theo 200w heater
-Rena Filstar XP3 Canister Filter

I have had it up and going for about 3 days now and I added a Bio-Boost bacterial agent which has left the water very cloudy over the last 2 days. I was told to wait it out that this is a bacterial bloom. I am to the point where I am not sure if I should add a few fish to assist in the cycle or if I should try to use the Tetra Safestart? I'm not really in a hurry to add fish I just want to make sure the cycle is right and complete. I have read so much conflicting information on adding fish, adding ammonia, use a bio-boost, don't use one etc.

When all is said and done I plan to add 2 Angel Fish, 2 Opaline Gouramis, a Loach, 2 cory cats, and maybe a couple Mollies

59611_3384347268019_756612427_n.jpg

Last edited:

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
hello; Here is the title of an article about cycling. I have tried to post a link to it on this forum and am pervented from doing so. I have posted it to other forums without any problems. It is a long read but seems to explain things well. Good luck.

NITROGEN CYCLE AND AQUARIUM & POND CYCLING;
How the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle Works

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
there needs to be fish in the tank to do the cycle. otherwise the bacteria u put in will just starve to death. there needs to be a source of ammonia and nitrites for the bacteria to survive and thrive on. just letting the tank sit for a couple weeks does not cycle a tank. the cycle will take 4-8 weeks on average to complete. on the post about the bio boost i thought you already had fish in the tank.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
Try using a raw shrimp and throw it in the tank or you can help the cycle along by using fish food. There are various methods available that can be used without putting a fish in danger to do so.

Sadly, your tank is very tall which isnt ideal for fish.

Then, in regard to your stocking:
-2 angels is maybe okay, but the floor space doesnt leave a lot of room for them to establish territory
-2 opaline gouramis i would pass on...the pretty ones are all males in store and will fight and stress out other fish to the point of disease and death possibly. opalines are also pretty big, so if you are set on a gourmi look at the dwarf varietys and only one. or paradise fish or even a male betta or 3-5 female bettas. keep in mind the angelfish will likely pick at the fins of other fish though
-there are lots of different loaches available, majority should be avoided due to your tanks lack of floor space. the only one i can think would suit your tank is a kuhlii loach.
-Cory cats need to be kept in groups of ideally 3+ but 5 is more ideal. again, your floor space is lacking so look into dwarf ones like panda cories.
-Mollies and swordtails are the larger varietys of livebeares and personally i find mollys to be bullys. their bigger size will take up more room in the tank also...i really dislike tall tanks lol. look at guppys and platys maybe as an option for smaller livebearers. you will want to add some taller plants to give stressed fish a place to escape the angels or males harassing them to breed lol. also some thicker tall plants will give molly babys a chance to survive. although, i love livebeares in my tanks bc they make a great food source for my angels!

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I prefer using pure ammonia when doing the fishless cycle because it is less messy.
I recommend reading the two articles in my signature regarding cycling.

Something else to consider are tetras....relatively peaceful and look beautiful in large schools.