New to Bettas

boattos

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Hi,

I am interested in setting up a 5 gallon Betta tank on my desk at work. I would like to know if this is a good idea as the temperature fluctuates here in the office. Also, do I need a heater and filter for a 5 gallon?

Any help would be appreciated.

boattos

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Thanks Miss Fishy! But, I already know how to set up a freshwater tank as I have a 65 gallon @ home. I meant specifically for Betta's as I am getting mixed information from websites that I have visited. Do you have specific info on Bettas on your website and if so, can you provide the link?

boattos

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Thanks Guys!

I think a 10 gallon is going to be too big for my desk a work.

I was wondering if you have a filter in the 5 gallon. I am reading mixed reviews that they do/do not need a filter.

SB

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A 5g tank is great for a betta. A small filter and a heater will really help keep the betta healthy. Bettas don't like a lot of current, but the water should be filtered. The all-in-one tanks usually have a filter that's fine for bettas (such as the Eclipse tanks). A heater is really important, as bettas don't do well if the water gets cold, especially in an office where the heat often goes off at night.

Second Lotus.

My Eclipse tank was and is my first tank ever and it's got everything to start (light, filter, bio-wheel).

There isn't much current with it circulating and I have added a small bubble wall to the rear that the Betta doesn't seem to mind.

I've added some LED's for night lighting (white currently but do have a blue I'm looking to use).

fishnewbie

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2007
boattos,
I am currently housing one of my male VT bettas in a 5g. I have a Tetra whisper filter and no heater. Personally I don't think current is that big a deal, but I think it is important that there is a place in the tank where they can get out of it. My betta loves to swim in the current, and when he wants out of it he knows where to go. Also I don't use a heater and my tank stays at a constant 73 degrees. Its all personal opinion, as long as you keep your fish happy then thats all that matters!

Justin

boattos

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Just to keep you up to date. I purchase an eclipse hex 5 on Sunday and have it set up at home. I also purchase a 7.5 watt heater and keep the temperature at 79 degrees. I purchase a red Betta on Monday and he's doing OK. I will post pics soon.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Betta Temp.

Well, it really depends how much the temp. goes up and down...if it is from 68-75 degrees F. you should be fine. But if you do it and find a unatural white or light colored section under your fishes mouth and gills, you should consider a new place to locate the fish...the white spot means their stressed.
{ Don't quote me on this but (if there is a heater that can stop heating your tank at a certain temp. that could be an option...) }