New to Forum- New to Discus!

Jun 12, 2008
Hello, I have a 20 gallon Tall ( I did have saltwater but lived too far for live brine etc)..and would like to use thsi tank for a pair of mated discus. Is this okay for 20 gallon? I have an Eclipse hood (which did OUTSTANDING for saltwater). Do I need more? I am looking to mkae it a "showpiece" tank..with live plants, sandy bottomy.....with maybe two or three smaller bottom feeding fish.... is this realistic? Please....I have absolutely NO ego...all help welcome!!! (II really really really want to get a pair of mated discus)

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
i have no personal experience with discus but I have never seen anyone keep them in less than a 55G, that doesnt mean its not possible to succesfully keep them in a 20G tall but from what I do know about them I think it is to small.

Welcome to the tank.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Welcome to MFT!

I've seen many a breeders use 20gals to hold their pairs of discus. If you have no interest in breeding them but still want a pair i really don't think i'd put them in that 20gal. The small tank allows the breeder to do easy frequent water changes in a bare tank. A planted tank would make this difficult.

Also unless you start with a 5-6" pair, you will need to start with about 6 young fish to turn out with a pair. Thus not being able to keep them in a 20gal. So as a plain, bare breeding tank....yes. Planted community tank, i wouldn't. Go as big as you can.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd agree that if you really want discus, it's better to get a bigger tank. Discus do get big (6 or 8 inches in diameter) and need some space to be happy. In addition, you'd find it extremely hard to keep a 20g tank's water quality good enough with two discus.