Feb 10, 2003
nj
Visit site
i told my 13 year old she could do a salt water tank. im giving her
29 gal tank
1 eheim 2215
1 fluval 203
1 power head, heater,double strip light
ill donate 15 lbs live rock and sand.what would be a starter set up for her.im new to salt. any sugestions?¿
steve

Feb 23, 2003
Naples Fl.
www.millevolte.com
How much light are you going to have? 3 watts per gallon for "fish with live rock only" should be just enough.

I would also go with at least 20LBs of it in there. Are you going with a deep sand bed or a crushed coral substrate?

Since you already plan to put live rock in the tank I would start out with a Six-line wrasse. They stay small, are hardy, active, and very pretty. They cost anywhere from $14-$20.
I would aslo start off with a clean up crew (hermits, snails, shrimp, etc...).

Below is a great resource for SW.
WetWebMedia

steve535

Large Fish
Feb 10, 2003
nj
Visit site
right now i have a 50/50 and 10,000 watt for that tank when it had cichlids in it. crushed coral substrate, about 3" sand gets into the canisters. would we be better off not useing live rock?i like the cleaner shrimp. how about basslets with the shrimp?

Feb 23, 2003
Naples Fl.
www.millevolte.com
Live rock is always better and provides the tank with biological filtration. You need to know the wattage of your lights. 10,000K refers to the spectrum.

You will have to check the compatibilty and requirments for each fish you want to put in your tank as there are several species of Basslets.

SW requires a bit more research than FW. If I were you I would start reading up a bit. Knowledge is the key to success. You can through alot of $$$ down the toilet pretty easily.

steve535

Large Fish
Feb 10, 2003
nj
Visit site
15 watt on the 10000k,12 watt on the 50/50.ive had great luck with fw,(55gal running 12 years)i know i have to do the research but you get alot out of people with years of experance. thanks steve

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
You don't need any more light for live rock. That's enough, depending on whats attached -if you have green algae, or have lucked out and have some polyps or corals you'd need more for them to grow, but if ti's worms , sponges or nuisance anemonaes (not necassarily a nuisance all the time), that's enough

Feb 23, 2003
Naples Fl.
www.millevolte.com
Hey wayne, do you really think 1 watt per gallon would be enough to get some adequate growth (coralline, macro algae, plants, etc...) from the LR? I always thought 2 watts per gallon was the low end.

Lauren, polyps will colonize if you provide the right conditions. I was lucky enough to get some on my LR. They have doubled in numbers the last 2 months.

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
1 watt per gallon in really shallow water would work, but for macro algae and most polyps more (much more) would be better. But for the coralline, some other polyps that would be enough - the live rock needs none to function at it's most basic level - it's just a medium for bacteria. Sponges typically don't do well in high light settngs as they get covered in algae.
I might add a skimmer to this set up, or I might make 1 gallon twice a week water changes a habit and be careful about stocking. I wouldn't use a steriliser - getting the nitrogen cycle is the most important thing, and a striliser won't do that. The uv just adds complexity