new to salt please help

rennocneb

Medium Fish
Oct 10, 2003
Visit site
Hi im interested in setting up a small saltwater tank id like to keep one possibly two small clowns thats all i also dont want a reef tank just love the look of the fish. What all would i need to do this is it possible to do it with out the insanely expensive combanation of liverock and livesand using a good hob on a 10 or 20 gallon tank?

what all will i need
thanks

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
For a first timer, bigger would be better. I would go with a 20 gallon tank, and probably the long version.

While live sand and live rock are one of the best ways at getting biological filtration accomplished in a tank, there are other ways. I would probably use a power filter, such as a emperor 400 on a 20 gallon. I would also seriously consider some sort of skimmer that hangs on the back of the tank. That way the skimmer can remove a lot of the wastes from the water.

You'll probably want to do more frequent water changes, possibly as much as one per week. This is the best way to remove nitrates without the use of live rock and sand.

Other equipment needed will be heaters and powerheads. You'll need to mix up your saltwater before you add it into a tank, so'll you'll likely need 2 heaters and at least an airpump (but I find a powerhead does a better job at mixing the water)

If you don't have any live rock or sand, you'll want to add some decoration for your clowns to hide in. You may be able to find some rocks that are safe for the aquarium at your fish store. Clay pots cut in half also make good homes for clownfish.

Hope this helps.
Hope this helps

Oct 14, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
IF U DO GO SMALL (AND YOU CAN BUT ITS LOTS OF WORK). U DO NEED LIVE ROCK (HALF POUND PER GAL. IS A GOOD RULE). AND SAND IT WILL HELP KEEP THE LEVELS DOWN, AND YOUR FISH ALIVE (THAT IS THE POINT). FREQUENT WATER CHANGES (2 A WEEK) AND TEST DAILY. BUT IF YOU GOT THE TIME TO PUT IN, YOU CAN DO THIS. MAKE SURE U BUY A MASTER TEST KIT AND HYDROMETER, AND SALT. ALWAYS HAVE PRE MIXED SALTWATER READY FOR WATER CHANGES AND FRESH BOTTLEDWATER FOR TOP OFF OF THE EVAPORATED WATER. I HOPE THIS HELPS.

rennocneb Dont do it you are looking for a disaster, If you want to get into SW go for as big a tank as you can afford (55 gallon or bigger). once you have the said large tank this is what you will need.

At least with a larger tank you will not have to do so many water changes (depending on fish stock)

There is no need for a canister or power filter and definatly no Airstones (Live rock and Live sand do not do well with Airstones) and defiinatly no Biowheels

Salt or NSW
RO Water For top ups
Hydrometer
Heater
At least 2 power heads
Live rock (min 1 pound per gallon) For filtration
DSB (Deep Sand Bed) at least 4" for filtration
Skimmer (not required but very useful)

Test Kits:
Nitrite, nitrate
Ph higher range
Amonia
Calcium (important if you intend to keep corals)
Alkalinity (again important if you are keepin corals)

Hope this helps

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i think weekly water changes are sufficient on a 20gal, the key is to keep up on topping off, you can lose a lot of water to evaporation...i have a 20gal nano which is doing just fine and it is my first SW tank, it just take patience, tinkering, and a whole lot of reading beforehand