New to Saltwater; need advice

Mar 10, 2003
Houston, TX
Visit site
I have just set up my first marine tank after keeping freshwater for a while. I do have a couple of questions and concerns. I set up my tank about 10 days ago. It is a 30 gallon tank. The substrate is live sand, and I only have about 1.5 lbs. live rock in there, although I plan to add more later. The rest of the deco is lava rock and artificial coral. For filtration, I have 2 whisper power filters, and I have a Visi-Jet protein skimmer. The temperature is 78F.

After I set everything up, I let it run for a week. 2 days ago, I purchased 3 fish to begin the cycling (1 domino damsel, 1 green chromis, 1 humbug damsel). The humbug showed severe signs of ammonia poisoning as the cycle began, and I decided to euthanize him. The green chromis died last night, and although the domino is still alive, he is starting to weaken. I really don't expect him to last through the week. My question is, if he dies, how can I continue my cycle? I don't think I would be able to add more fish due to the toxic tank conditions. Would I have to start over with a water change and new fish? Sorry that this post is so long. I am new to saltwater, and I just want to get everything right. Please advise.

M. Sakran
Houston, TX

Saint

Medium Fish
Nov 4, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
My guess would be to let the tank sit and run the cycle. The ammonia should break down and nitrites should appear. By adding the fish, you gave the ammonia a kick start. Now the cycle will begin to break the ammonia down. I am not expert, but thats my opinion. I would check the nitrite and nitrate levels before adding more fish. ( This is all from freshwater. I am not sure if saltwater is different)

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
IF the domino is still alive, then what I would do is a water change. This will save the life of the fish, and will only delay the cycling by a couple of days at the most!

If the fish is already dead, then don't add another fish to the tank. Just wait it out and it should finish cycling by itself especially if the ammonia is so high. If all your levels seem way too low, then just add a piece of raw shrimp to get the cycling back on track.

When it's time to add more fish, make sure you don't overload the system by adding too many too fast. One fish every week or two until you are stocked.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You don't have to add anything if they die now. If they are dying, that means the ammonia, nitrite levels are high enough where you don't need to add anything to continue the cycle. There is enough pollutants now, where you just have to sit and wait.

Mar 10, 2003
Houston, TX
Visit site
One more question: I ordered about 25 lbs. of live rock, which I expect to arrive this week. It is cured, and I have no where to store it except in my tank. If I put it in my tank, will it throw off my cycle. I tested the water this morning for ammonia, it reads at 5 ppm.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You can put it in a separate bucket (rubbermaid) container if you like. If you order it through mail, I am sure it's not totally cured considering there is dieoff on it's flight.

Otherwise, some people just place the rock in at the beginning and cure everything at once. The live rock will probably lessen your cycle time also.

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
my 55 gal tank cycle in 3 days
60 ibs of live sand
60 ibs of live rock
no skimer for the first 2 weeks
i put the live rock and sand in the new aqu
and in a few days i put some fish change 10 % of water the first week and 25% the 3ed week
i started adding coral and fish after the first week with no problems

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
IMO, you should have purchased 3 fish after live rock. The live rock would have surely started a cycle in your tank due to die off during shipment. I would have then ck water after about 1 week, then 2-3 weeks. If you see the cycle is a the down stroke where nitrates appear, then possible add some of the hardier fish that you would like. Blue Devil Damsel is one of the hardest but meanest fish to have. Plus if your not planning on keeping them, don't put them in. They can be pain to remove from live rock when trying to net! Also, if adding corals, make sure its an easy care type, and after the cycle has finished to be safe. Its only your money you'll be wasting if it dies. Also, I not sure how well a Visi-Jet skimmer works, but I could wrong. My preference would be a CPR BakII. Works well for almost everone here locally in Ft Lauderdale including LFS.