new to saltwater, need suggestions

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
yesterday i went to the library and picked up a couple of books about saltwater aquariums

what fish should i NOT try to start out with.......all of the fish i am interested in are listed to be difficult to raise......

thanks for your feedback, now i have to get back to my research!!!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i would look at clownfish to start, dont have to go with the "nemo" perculas, but as a general rule they are hardy...damsels too, but they are agressive...green chromis is good...psuedochromis...what does the book suggest?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
the book says nemos are good....i've been researching them online and almost everyone says to keep them in a 20 gallon, but i was wondering if i could get away with keeping them in a 10 gallon.....the other thing is the books and websites say nothing about tankmates---if i can keep em in a 10, what kind of fish or inverts could live with them, and how many? (same question for a 20)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
no on a ten...look at smaller fish like firefish, psuedochromis, etc for a ten gal...check out www.nano-reef.com

as far as tankmates in a 20g (i have a 20g myself) you can keep most any of the inverts, could probably keep a blenny or one of the aformentioned smaller fish with the clown (though not damsels and not another clown), its really just a matter of what you like

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you keep a pair in a 10, you probably wouldn't want to risk putting anything else in - 10's are just not big tanks, and with three fish in it will be biologically unstable, and be high maintenance. If you're thinking of a tank, get the 10 - it's mch, much more stable for not much more money. You can take the 'stuff ' fom a 10, put it in a 20 , and it's just better straight away thanks to the extra water. With a 20, you could probably get one of the more placid dotty backs, or a banana wrasse in.