new to saltwater

rb6161

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Toronto,Canada
Visit site
i have two freshwater tanks i have a 65 gallon main tank and a 10 gallon sick tank.i have another 10 gallon tank that is fresh water.i have a U.G.F on it and a heater and a ac100. i would like to try a fish only saltwater with that tank. what else would i need to buy? or a good web sight to explane every thing i need.

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
I'd sling the UGF and get 8 -10 lbs of top quality live rock. Mind I probably wouldn't do a 10 gal fish only as you can only really keep 2 small fish , and a 20 long isn't much money for lots more options.
The first thing I would get tho' is Mike Palettas book The New Marin Aquarium, and look thro that. Very clear and understandable. most of the web descriptions are too short or confusing, though there is a lot of good info on wetwebmedia.com.
Get reading , good luck. Prereading is a big deal here. If your LFS says use the UGF OR cycle with damsels ignore them and find another - they are talking rubbish. Do not become part of the 70% who abandon their tank in the first year.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
ditto to wayne...also check out fenner's conscientious marine aquarist...if youve already got the ten anyway i say use it if you want to put the time/energy into it. perhaps a FOLR with inverts? FILR ;) keep a few crabs or something....

KB

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
if your going to get inverts, try going with around 12 pounds of live rock. hermit crabs like to climb the un-climbable, and then fall. it's one of the funniest things you'll ever see. i don't know why, but it just is. and watch out for the type of crab you get. some of them will attack and kill your fish.

Tim

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
and remember this: the smaller the crabs are, the more funny they are when they fall so dwarf blue legged hermit crabs are great for this. they also eat algae like there's no tomorrow. lol

Tim

Sep 12, 2003
Springfield, MO
I like the zebra hermits. Mine are tiny. They will climb the intake of my filter then get to the top and fall. I can watch them all day. 10g can be fun just take your time and get good live rock and if you can snag some live sand from someone and you are good. You might think about a skimmer but I dont know any descent ones that will fit a 10g.

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
my zebra hermits used to be tiny...then they got HUGE. one kept on killing all of my snails... :( my friend had a couple that got so big and they terrorized everything they could reach, that he took them to the lfs and fed them to the triggers. don't get me wrong though..they are awesome for wiping out algae. whenever i get algae on a rock, i throw it in my sister's tank (she has the zebras now) and the next day, all of the algae is gone! lol

if your going to add sand and you live in the US, i suggest Southdown Tropical Playsand. i've never used it myself (a friend just got 100lbs of it and is selling me the leftovers), but everybody i know that has a saltwater aquarium uses it. i saw it in action and it looks absolutly incredible.

have you ever used copper treatment with that tank? if so, don't get any inverts and forget about live rock. copper kills.

Tim