New to SW, questions!

RX93

Medium Fish
Sep 25, 2006
I've just switched to SW on my 29g (First SW tank). I'm using everything i had running my FW from before..external filter..powerhead..undergravel filter with sand base. Im currently having problem with the powerhead pulling the sand from undergravel. I have put a net to cover the whole undergravel before putting on the layer of sand.

Should i just use airpump for the undergravel and put the powerhead somewhere else instead of it pulling out from undergravel. anyone got similar problem or good advice.

I was thinking of getting a U.V Sterilizers..is it that useful for a 29g? or should i get a skimmer instead? This SW tank will be mainly peaceful community fish only with a few corals maybe.

some pictures r always good *thumbsups

Thanks!

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Get a skimmer. A UV sterilizer is only really used in salt to kill parasites like ich. You don't run it all the time. Honestly I wouldn't run the undergravel. The live rock is your filter. You'll want a couple more power heads in there for flow.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I agree, before your tank gets further established pull out that undergravel filter, it is unnecessary and will only become a nitrate trap over time. otherwise, welcome to mft and that looks like a great start

RX93

Medium Fish
Sep 25, 2006
Will take out the undergravel filter tomorrow. Im looking for Hydor Koralia 3 but would that be too strong? Im using canister filter which is giving not bad current already and a mexi-jet 400 powerhead which feels like its not doing much.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
A korallia 3 may be too big as it is quite large you could easily get by with 2 Korallia 1's facing each other across the tank. The idea is to create random irregular flow and not a cyclone effect. Your goal is to recreate the ebb and flow of a reef.....

RX93

Medium Fish
Sep 25, 2006
ok sounds like a good idea, thanks!
and about protein skimmer, would i really need it if im only keeping 4-5 small community fish and a shrimp? Someone offered me a saline solution hob counter current skimmer used for $60. I'm not too familiar with protein skimmer so would be great if any input on that.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I'd look for a used AquaC Remora hang on back skimmer. It would give you plenty of skimming for that tank and used prices should be around $75. It's nice and compact too compared to a venturi skimmer and more efficient.

A Koralia 3 would be too strong I think. I run #2s in my 90 gallon tank that's 5 feet wide. You can get 2 #1s shipped of Ebay for $58 which is probably much cheaper then any LFS.

RX93

Medium Fish
Sep 25, 2006
Just a quick update :D

Added 8 more pounds of LR, bought from local that's taking down a 90g. So i picked up a few small pieces.

This was one of the piece i picked up today. It looks like a coral shaped rock..made me think if this is really a LR

something cool for me that came with the LR. What is it called? and will this spread and have more?

purple mushroom that also came with the LR. seems like its ripping/dying?

Total of 30 pounds of LR in the tank which im happy with now.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The "cool" item is an aiptasia (pest anemone). I'd treat it before they spread.

The mushroom will probably recover. Just give it some time.

The piece of rock that looks like a coral is a coral skeleton. It will still work as live rock.