new to this and some queries?

Sep 10, 2012
Hi, i am completely new to having fish, ive always liked the idea of keeping tropical fish but as my son is young and im kinda clueless i thought it best to start with coldwater. Ive a couple of queries though.

Firstly, the current coming out of the filter seems to be really strong! Its a 19litre tank with a black moor goldfish and an Oranda, both only about 2 inches in length. The filter is on the side of the tank and the fish seem to be having to fight with the current all the way round the tank. I was told the Black Moor wasnt a great swimmer, but mine seems pretty good. Im worried that all the swimming against the current could cause them stress and when i try to change the amount of bubbles coming from the filter like they showed me in the pet shop theres not much difference.

Secondly, theres a lot of condensation at the top of the tank and on the lid. There are gaps in the lid and about a 3-4inch gap between the surface and the top of the tank. Ive read about condensation but most cases were in tropical tanks i think. Is it okay to have it in coldwater tanks too?

BTW I only got the tank in the last week an the fish were only added yesterday.

Apologies, I know this was very long winded but thought it better to offer as much info as possible :)

Feb 27, 2009
Hello savannah - Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your set-up: 19 litres is way too small for even one goldfish, let alone two. They are a huge waste-producing fish. Just one will need 80 or so litres, with 40 more litres needed for each additional goldfish.

For a 19 litre tank, the only thing that could be kept in it and kept healthy would likely be a betta, snails or shrimp.

Apr 27, 2012
Lexington, KY
i agree, goldfish waste production is very high and the ammonia levels can spike on you extremely quick. Your best bet is to ditch the current setup and go for at bare minimum a 10 gal.

being that your tank is only a week old i take it is not cycled. Adding fish to a premature cycle can be fatal, especially since you have "high waste" fish in a very small tank. Unless of course you used an instant cycle conditioner(personally i don't recommend using these)

As far as your water evaporating, thats just a part of tank keeping. you just need to make sure your water level stays high enough for the filter to run. The best way to reduce water evaporation is having a tight fitting lid.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

oh and by the way, if you want a tropical tank may i suggest going with platties. They are super easy to keep, they add a ton of color to your setup and are extremely cheap, you can get a dozen feeder platties for $1 and they are live bearers so you can buy a few and they will quickly reproduce.