New to this site and fishkeeping

Aug 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Visit site
Hello all!
I'm new to this site and fishkeeping. I only have a ten gallon tank but love the hobby. Someday I want to get a BIG tank and keep cichlids. But right now I just have beginnner fish in my 10G. Also, my tank isn't planted, but I hope someday it will be!
I am in New York City so sadly I live in an overpriced closet. I already have a dog, a cat, a fire escape garden and a slew of backyard birds I take care of (including a nesting pair of red cardinals). The fish came on as an accident when a friend bought me a Angelfish to replace my trusty betta that finally died. I didn't want to take the Angel back so I ended up with a 10G starter kit and moved on from there.
Thank all of you on this board for all your help! My fish thank you too!

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the tank. :)

And yes it is very addicting. After losing my 350g tank, I kinda got out of the hobby for a few years, but then got handed a 65 with some oscars and a pleco in pretty bad shape. Only the pleco survived so now the 65 is a community tank with lots of nice and interesting fish, plus Lotus has an 18g in our office that she is starting to add fish to and I'm working on plans to build a 180g tank in our house.

So addicting is definately the word!

Living in NYC your apartment would probably fit inside the 180g tank, and yet your paying around 1600 a month so I know how that can cramp your fish buying, but somehow the addiction overcomes that and you'll be adding new friends to your tank soon, as well as new tanks.

Good Luck and again, welcome to the tank!