New to this site & eager to get advice :)

Dec 18, 2012
Manchester, MI
I have 4 Columbian Sharks, 1 misc. Angelfish, Common Pleco and High-fin Spotted Pleco in a 55 gallon fish tank. I haven't had any issues with this tank it is a complete Top Fin 55 gallon kit. The issue I am having is with my Columbian Sharks...There are 2 bigger ones and 2 smaller ones. They have always schooled together and hardly ever strayed. 2 days ago 1 of the bigger sharks started being really aggressive towards the other 3 and completely ignoring the other fish in the tank. (my other fish don't really interact with my sharks) He chases the other big one to the opposite end of the tank and then traps the smaller ones in a corner. They can't be close together though one at the top of the corner and one at the bottom. It's crazy...I am just wondering if sharks PMS and this is just a phase or if I should get rid of that shark.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I'm guessing that your larger shark wants more room and is trying to stake his territory. Columbian Sharks get big and aggressive!
In my opinion your tank is overstocked and you will continue to have problems with your sharks, unless you get a larger tank or re-home them.
Most sites recommend 50-75 gallons per shark and keeping them in groups. Also is your tank fresh or brackish water?
My understanding is that Columbian sharks are brackish fish and therefore will have problems living in freshwater (they develop often fatal skin problems).

Dec 18, 2012
Manchester, MI
hmm...I must not be getting my research from good sources. Right now the water is brackish but not too high of a salinity for my plecos and angel. Also, I was under the impression that they weren't that aggressive and not one person at the various fish breeders and what not has said anything about 50-75 gallons per shark... I'm not saying your wrong that just frustrates me that I was mislead. I've also done research via internet. The two big guys are about 5-6" and the little ones are probably 3". I was hoping to upgrade them to my 180 towards the end of next year...after my redtail, gar and pleco out grow it but now I'm not sure I will have enough time to do that :/ So far the 55 gallon has been the hardest tank to stock...and I really don't want to have to settle for dinky fish like mollies and what not.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Most pleco's need at least 125G as the get at least 14-18" long in most cases. Check out your shark here: Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Columbian Shark . This place is pretty accurate with the info they post. Most fish stores are just interested in making the sale, when you find a good one they will ask your tank size and be genuinely concerned about your purchase so your fish stays happy and healthy.

Dec 18, 2012
Manchester, MI
Common plecos get way larger than just 14-18" same with the High fin spotted. I have future plans to build an outdoor/indoor pond to accommodate my larger fish, that are in my 180 gallon so I can upgrade the 55 gal. guys in there. However, my plecos are very small and my tank is fine for them, for right now. I have/had many breeds of plecos and am very familiar with them. I am not new to aquariums simply new to this site. I realize that fish stores are just trying to sell you a product. I have never been into a "fish store" that hasn't asked me for my tank sizes...even Petsmart associates will do that. The link to liveaquaria....trust me I've looked through just about everything on their site and their information is extremely vague and not always accurate. Plus, if they were 100% accurate that would automatically rule out what the first reply said... they are schooling fish, I'm sure LA took that into consideration when they put 70 gal. minimum. Many other sites rec. 55 gal for juveniles. I have also read multiple forums (on other sites) where one individual said he had 5 -8" CS's and 4 other fish with no issues...which I would consider over-stocked

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
In the end it is your decision. I'm simply sharing what I learned and read online. I agree that finding information that is 100% accurate is impossible.
That is what forums are for, sharing of information so they people can make educated decisions based on numerous sources.
Several of the fish forums I visited indicated that CS's get large and aggressive. That does not mean yours will or that you will have problems with them.
I would simply monitor the situation and prepared for any outcome.

When I stock my tanks I don't think in terms of juveniles, because their needs can change quickly. I like to stock my tanks in preparation for their needs as adult fish.
This is just what I do because I have limited tank space and funds. Like I said in the end it is your decision and I'm simply sharing my knowledge. :)

Dec 18, 2012
Manchester, MI
Yeah, I usually grow my tanks with my fish. (I have a 10, 37, 55, & a 180) I haven't had any prior experience with the CS and so far its been a rocky road. One other question pertaining to the sharks. I have put in regular aquarium salt (not marine salt) my salinity is higher in their tank (at a low brackish level). I did this because Fish Doctors (a well respected store) said that was how they managed their brackish tanks. However, I have not found anything online saying that, that is okay... On another note, I definitely respect everyone's opinions. Especially since for all I know I could be talking to rocket scientist.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I can assure you I'm not a rocket scientist, that would be awesome though! :p

You will need to use marine salt to create brackish/saltwater, because aquarium salt lacks the right "ingredients".
Aquarium salt is usually used to treat ick and other illnesses. I have used aquarium salt to treat ick.
I believe that aquarium salt will increase salinity, but not to the point of creating a proper brackish environment.

Maybe this quote will be helpful...[found it here]
There is a big difference between Marine & Aquarium Salt!

Aquarium salt is great to use for parasites etc. in freshwater tanks but should not be used continually in them, especially in a community tank with fish that don't tolerate salt very well - use only as a medication.

It can be used in the short term, but for a true brackish tank or Knight Gobys, Marine salt is needed in the long term, as it contains many more trace elements/minerals etc. that is needed/required by the Goby to maintain proper health.

You should NEVER use marine salt in a freshwater tank or with freshwater fish - it is stronger, contains more minerals etc. as already mentioned, which can severely harm & burn freshwater fish. You should also never combine brackish fish with freshwater fish no matter how hardy the freshwater fish may be.