New used tank....Maybe

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I am looking at a used 110 gallon (60X18X24) tank. The stand and equipment are in great shape, but there is a small (less than a dime) sized chip in the corner on the seam. It is up and running now and is not leaking, but should this be a deal breaker? They guys wants $250 for it, so the price is right. But I don't want to spend that much to have my basement flooded!

Is there any way to repair such a defect?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I have a 55 that has a chip along one side of the tank, although it doesn't appear to have created any issues...I'm sure there's always a chance. Is it a flake off, or is there any cracking of the glass? I would be scared to move it and have it spring a leak...but depending where on the tank the chip is I think you ought to be able to either just put some silicon over it to help protect it...or there are some fixes where you silicon some other materials around that section...I guess its just up to you whether you think the chip looks that invasive or not? I saw the chip in my tank and there's no cracking, it doesn't directly touch a seam...so I think it'll be ok, but thats totally a judgement call I think. It also speaks volumes that the tank is up and running right now...

Any way you could get a picture of it for some of the more technical minded folks around here and get their opinion? 250 for a 110gal + Stand and equipment is an AWESOME deal.

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I tried to get a picture, but it just would not come out to where you could see it. It is definately a chip, not a crack. It does not appear to be spreading in any way. It is also in a place where I could glob it up with silicone or something and it would not be visible. It just may be too good of a deal to pass up! This price is the only way I am getting a tank that size anytime soon.